Child protection and lpm

WN22

Child protection and lpm

Post by WN22 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:59 pm

Hello.
This January I’ve noticed some weird bruises on my xx weeks old daughter. Took her to hv and been advised to see gp. Gp suggested to take her to a&e check out. I was scared it might be leukaemia or meningitis.
In the a&e I was stung by accusations of child abuse due NAI. (She’s been sucking on fingers and bruised them) Me , my husband and mother in law been in a group of perpetrators.

They kept her in for two days and issued section 47
We did get her back only under agreement that there will be 24/7 supervision.
14 days later we had a child protection conference and she’s been put on a child protection plan and still under 24/7 supervision and other two kids on child in need.
Police had an investigation and they are not going to take a case any further.
Now Children’s services had a change of managers and new manager is requesting lpm as it haven’t been done earlier.
Sw has no concerns about our family. We are doing everything they are saying. And we have nothing to change as nothing is wrong. Im scared of the outcome. Is there anything I can actually do or do I just sit and wait for lpm ? What can happen after this meeting? Also we have first child Protection Review Conference in less than 3 weeks. All people in core meeting wants us to come off cpp as there’s nothing to fallow up. Ss are tearing our family apart instead of supporting :cry:
Last edited by Suzie, FRG Adviser on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To prevent a potential breach of anonymity

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Child protection and lpm

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Dear WN22

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

I can see from your post that you were concerned about bruising to your daughter who is weeks old. Now the situation has changed as the bruising has been described as due to non-accidental injuries (NAI) which is a worry for you as this had led to children’s services involvement with your family and your daughter is now on a child protection plan and your other children on child in need plans. You can find more information about Child protection procedures and the kind of support available where there a child in need Family support

From what you say you believe the bruising was caused to your daughter’s fingers because she sucked on them. This explanation is not accepted hence non-accidental injury.

Your main concern from your post is that although you have been working well and cooperating with the social worker and the plans in place for your children, a new social work manager has decided that there should be a legal planning meeting. This decision is a cause of concern and worry for you as you are fearful of the possible outcome of the meeting. You want to know what you can do regarding this decision.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do because the manager’s responsibility is to have oversight of the case and, having looked at the case, she has decided that there should have been a legal planning meeting. The manager is within her right as a manager to make this decision.

The outcome of a legal planning meeting does not necessarily have to lead to court proceedings. Advice will be provided the children’s services by their legal team about the case and whether it is one that should or could be brought to court. Any application if made would be for a care order and, for the court to make a care order the threshold has to be met. The threshold means:

A court can only make certain orders about a child, like care, supervision or adoption orders, if it is satisfied that, when Children’s Services first got involved in protecting the child, s/he was suffering or was likely to suffer significant harm, and that the harm was due to the parents’ care not being what is normally expected of a parent.
Once the court decides this is true, it goes on to decide if it’s best for the child to make an order.

This definition is taken from our A-Z of terms which you can find here .

A copy of our advice sheet relating to Care (and related) proceedings will provide you with more information about what happens if children's services decide to make an application to the court.

Having a legal planning meeting is usual where there NAI is an issue so it may be that the manager want to ensure that correct procedures have been followed. The outcome of the meeting might be that things can continue as they are now as you are working with the child protection plan and engaging with children’s services.

I would advise you to wait for the legal planning meeting to take place. You will probably know the outcome of the meeting before the next review conference.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please do telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie