What’s next after child in need meeting ??

Scared2

What’s next after child in need meeting ??

Post by Scared2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Hi
What happens next after a child in need meeting ?
They have sent me a report saying minimal progress made , as I still allow my husband in our home , they advise me he should not be allowed in our home , as they see him as a risk to children ! No update from police on the case , still pending investigation
Help please

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: What’s next after child in need meeting ??

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:11 pm

Hello Scared2

Thank you for your post.

To answer your question about what happens after a child in need meeting. Now that you are to have a meeting this means that children’s services carried out an assessment and decided that your children are in need.

The purpose of the child in need planning meeting, if you have not already attended, is to develop a plan to meet the identified needs of the child or children. The following are likely to be considered and is on page 19 of the advice sheet relating to family support:

• What support will be given and who will give it
• How long this support will be given for
• What the aim of the support is
• What other agencies are expected to do
• How and when the plan for support will be reviewed

You say that the assessment report states that little progress has been made and this is because you still allow your husband into the home even though children’s services suggested that this should not happen and this is likely to one of the reasons the child is considered to be in need. Please our advice sheet about family support for more information.

If a child in need plan is in place, although voluntary, there is an expectation that you should do what is asked in the plan. Should you believe that the support being offered is not acceptable, then you will have to make sure that you already have similar or the same already in place. Whilst the support offered is, as stated above, voluntary, if you do not accept it and children’s services consider that it is necessary for the children then they could decide to upgrade to child protection. A child protection plan is not voluntary.

Just to remind you, even if the police investigation do not lead to your husband being charged, it will not stop children’s services being involved and having concerns about the risk posed by your husband. The police and children’s services are looking at different things, the police investigation is to see whether there is evidence for a charge and prosecution the test in the criminal court is beyond reasonable doubt. Children’s services are likely to take the view that no charge does not mean there is no risk, just that the police did not have enough evidence but does not mean the crime was not committed.

Children’s services will be concerned about your ability to protect your child from any potential risk posed by your husband and, whether you accept that there is a risk. Also, they will want to be satisfied that you are putting the child’s needs before your own. I suggest that you contact Lucy Faithfull Foundation on 0808 100 0900 who can provide you with advice about protecting your child.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Suzie