Social services and plo meeting

Breaking050609

Social services and plo meeting

Post by Breaking050609 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:48 pm

Hello, I'm after some advice if possible. I'm a mum of three children (g7, g4 and b7weeks) I have never had social workers involved before this. My to older children have a different dad. On the 18th of december 2017 my baby was 9 days old. My partner was doing his night feeds as I needed a rest he was 4 weeks early and I developed sepsis. He woke me at 2a.m on the morning of the 18th december as my baby was having breathing difficulties i got hold of the baby straight away and noticed bruising to the side of his face (my now x partner said he didn't know what caused them) so I rang a ambulance due to baby's breathing. The consultant at hospital contacted ss as there wasn't an explanation to his bruising. Since then we have both been cleared by the police no charges given. I split with the babies dad as I just want my babies home as they mean more to me than anything. The plo meeting is on Monday I have got a solicitor but I'm scared and just want my children home.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Social services and plo meeting

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:04 am

Dear Breaking050609

Welcome to the Parents discussion board. I am sorry for the delay in responding to you. I am sorry to hear what has happened to your family. It sounds like things have moved very quickly and you may not have had time to think.

You have said that the police have cleared both you and your partner and that you have separated. I imagine that Children’s Services have explained to you that they are still pursuing the matter based on the balance of probabilities; that either your partner or you (or someone else) harmed your son: they will also be exploring medical reasons for the bruising to your son and his breathing difficulties. I imagine that this will be a worry for you, please have a read of this document a portion of which I have extracted from Child Protection Resourcefor parents in your situation.

By now, the PLO meeting will have probably taken place so you might have a clearer understanding about children services involvement.
The PLO meeting may set out what should happen to avoid court proceedings or may have been used to set out what assessments and reports may be needed. Children services may be requesting further medical reports about how the bruising might have happened and might be undertaking family assessments.

You are entitled to legal aided solicitor at the PLO. Did you have a solicitor representing you? You should check that they are experienced with dealing with cases where there is concern about non accidental injury.
See our advice sheet about care (and related) proceedings. Pages 8 to 10 explains about PLO and the pre- proceedings process.

A family group conference could be very helpful to look for support for you or find family or friends. Here is information about Family group conferences .

If a family group conference has not been suggested, speak to your solicitor to see whether a family group conference would be useful.

Are your children still accommodated? If so, are they with family or friends or stranger foster carer? When children go into care then children services should consider placing them first with another parent, second with family and friends (who will then need to be assessed as foster carers). If there is no one suitable in the family and friends network then with non- connected foster carers.

Here is information about what accommodation means.

I have provided a basic response to your situation because the matter is complex. I encourage you to contact our telephone advice service where one of our advisers can discuss your situation with you in more detail. Our telephone lines are open Monday to Friday, 9.30am-3.30pm on 0808 801 0366. Or post again if you need further advice.

Best wishes,

Suzie