Self harm

BM1234

Self harm

Post by BM1234 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:33 pm

I self harm and have recently been referred to Lado because I am a DHT in a First School.
Children’s services got in touch with me a week ago to discuss a referral from my occ health doctor (and the case was closed immediately) but now Lado is involved it seems to have opened up again.
I came home to a note pushed through the door Friday evening asking me to ring them , which I have been doing all day. Nobody is getting back in touch.
What do they want? What will happen now? I’ve seen someone who says I can return to work on Wednesday and everything is ok. I just want to be able to put my mind at rest and know that, now Lado are happy with things, they’re going to leave me alone!

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Self harm

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:03 pm

Dear BM1234

Welcome to the Parents’ Board and thanks for your post. I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you and your family are having. I hope that you are getting the right support for yourself. There is a lot of information and advice about self-harm on Mind’s website. You have already had contact from your occupational health doctor so hopefully they have already given you some help and advice.

Just for the information of other parents who may read this post I wanted to explain very briefly what a LADO is as it is not a well-known term. It stands for Local Authority Designated Officer and is usually a senior member of staff who is a social worker who works in a local authority children’s services department. The LADO becomes involved in cases where the behaviour of an adult who works with children has caused or could cause a risk of harm to a child/children; they coordinate information sharing and provide advice and guidance to employers and voluntary organisations.

It can be very distressing to be contacted by children’s services (especially where you have already been told your case was opened and closed straight away) and then to have no response when you try to follow up. I hope that you have been able to speak to a social worker in the week since you posted and that the situation is now a bit clearer.

If not, you could contact the manager of the social work team who got in touch with you or perhaps the LADO directly for an update. Sometimes sending an email can generate a response. It may be helpful for you to ask for clarification of the situation in writing anyway in view of the impact on your personal and professional life. Only children’s services can tell you exactly why they wanted to speak to you again and what is different, in their view, from the last contact you had with them.

If children’s services want to do an assessment to consider if your child/ren need any support they should discuss this fully with you. You can find information about assessments in our advice sheet on family support.

If children’s services continue to be involved and you have further queries please do not hesitate to post again or if you would prefer to speak to an adviser please ring our Freephone helpline on 0808 8010366 Mon – Fri.

I hope that things are cleared up for you as soon as possible.

Best wishes

Suzie