Pre birth assessment anxiety

Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:35 pm

Pre birth assessment anxiety

Postby Gman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi, my partner and I are expecting our baby next February. She has other children under an sgo for nai which the child’s father wouldn’t admit too although he is a violent person. The midwife did the referral in early July and we have not heard a thing. We have phoned them 3 times asking when it will happen but they keep saying no ones been allocated yet. My partner is likely to give birth early as she did in previous pregnancies. So we have about 8-12 weeks to go. There are some issues that we feel might go against us but we have made positive outcomes of them all.
Should we ask them again when they are coming out? What happens if they leave it too late and the baby is born before an assessment? Can they take our baby away without any actual assessment or real evidence? We are both very anxious as our baby means the world to us.

Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:35 pm

Re: Pre birth assessment anxiety

Postby Gman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:45 pm

Can anyone help please?

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2088
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Pre birth assessment anxiety

Postby Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:30 pm

Dear Gman

Thank you for posting again. I can see that you and your partner are anxious about the pre-birth assessment that is due to be carried out by children’s service and the fact that no action has been taken to start the assessment.

I am sorry that you have both had to worry at this time. However, I refer you to the previous post which set out in detail about what could happen when previous children have been removed. You say you have both worked hard to address some concerns and that is a positive.

It is important that children’s services should give you and your partner an idea of when the work will start. I do not think it is enough for them to simply say it has not been allocated. I suggest that you put in writing to children’s services the concerns you have should the assessment not take place prior to your partner giving birth.

As you have asked, if children’s services do not carry out the assessment in good time, then if they have concerns about the baby leaving hospital for home, then they could ask that your partner remain in hospital with the baby to allow arrangements to be made for them to leave hospital. This could be to a mother and baby unit (this could possibly include you), or to a family member willing to provide support. However, it is much better for them to carry out the assessment before this stage so that you both know what their expectations are and what you need to do.

I suggest that you continue working on the issues that you both think you should be doing so that once children’s services are ready to start work with you then you will be able to show all that you have already achieved.

Children’s services cannot take your baby without the mother’s agreement. I say the mother because she will be the only one with parental responsibility at the time of birth unless you are married to each other. You can acquire parental responsibility if your name is entered on your baby’s birth certificate, your partner enters into a parental responsibility agreement or you obtain a court order. If children’s services wish to remove your baby they would need a court order to do so.

I should explain that they could ask the police to remove under police powers and this would be for a period of 72 hours and after this they would need agreement and, if not, they have to apply for a court order.

Obviously, it is better that it does not get to the point where they need to start court proceedings rather than carry out a timely pre-birth assessment. It is important that you ask children’s services to give you information about what they intend to do and when. As stated above, put your request in writing and ask for a written response.

I have included for your information copies of our advice sheets relating to parental responsibility agreement and care proceedings

I hope you will find this helpful but should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

Best wishes


Return to “Are social workers worried about your child?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests