New assessment

Stressed mummy

New assessment

Post by Stressed mummy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:03 am

Hi,

Really need some advice.

Ss did assessments over 4 years ago. The assessment were done and child classes low risk. Not had any involvement since. My partner was charged with frightening behaviour. Had a probation report done. Because of past involvement with ss they asked them if there was any concerns. They contacted by phone said they had no concerns as the crime involved no children was between 2 adult men. Yesterday ss came out to say "they had looked at the past assessments to before closing the case. The risk assessment for my partner is missing or wasnt done. They have only found psychological report and parenting. They now want to do the assessments all over again as the feel it wasnt done correct.

Do you know what will be involved?
Can they not use my assessments and the children assessments from before and just do the one thats missing?

It was very stressful last time and i dont want my family to go through this again. I dont want school involved if we dont have to.
Last time we had everyone involved and dont see the need again as nothing as changed and all reports came back good.

Please help!!!

Stressed mummy

Re: New assessment

Post by Stressed mummy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:48 am

Hi,

Can you tell me if this is a breach of our human rights? Iv just read your complaints form and it sounds like it is.

Thanks.

Stressed mummy

Post by Stressed mummy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:23 am

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a reply?. Or as anyone been through the same.

Not much of a help forum if no one helps.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Dear Stressedmummy

Thanks for your recent posts. I am sorry to hear that you are having a stressful time and am sorry that we have not been able to respond sooner. As you can see, the parents’ discussion board is very active at present.

The current situation in relation to assessments sounds somewhat confusing. It is not clear exactly what process you are in.

Although you say that nothing has changed in the four years since children’s services were last involved I suppose they cannot necessarily assume this to be the case. As part of any assessment a social worker will usually want to contact other professionals who know your children so that they can get a full picture of how they are doing. However, this should be discussed with you and in most cases your consent sought.

I think that the best thing for you to do is to ask the social worker to confirm in writing what they are proposing to do and why and to spell out what process you are in. You could email or write to the social worker making the point that a number of detailed assessments were completed in the past and putting forward the points you raise in your post, such as:

• Is it not possible just to do the “missing” risk assessment? What will this involve and in what timescale?
• If not, can the previous positive assessments inform the current assessment?
• Can this new assessment be an updating assessment?
• Who do children’s services intend to involve in this process and why?

You could also use this opportunity to discuss any worries you have about children’s services contacting your children’s school and why and try to seek a way forward.

You should be fully involved in the assessment and in any decision-making processes and treated fairly throughout. If you think this is not happening then and you have tried unsuccessfully to sort it out (by clarifying or negotiating as above) you can make a complaint. You have already seen our advice sheet on complaints which gives some tips about how to do this. Arguing a breach of human rights is very complex and may not be the best thing to do here. You can of course contact a solicitor if you think that you need legal advice about this. We also have a FAQ about this.

You might find this Parents’ Charter helpful as it sets out very clearly how children’s services and parents can work well together. It could provide a starting point for discussing with the social worker your worries about the stress of going through an additional assessment.

I hope this helps.

With best wishes

Suzie