Now on an ICO

Ignatious

Now on an ICO

Post by Ignatious » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:25 pm

So, things have degraded further with the LA to the point now were currently on and ICO.

The children are in varying forms of LA foster care and or residential placements which means technically they are now 'in care'.

Having read Leaflet 17; Reuniting children in the care system with their families, page 4 states (in relation to making a plan) that any plan needs to including any arrangements for the child to return home to their family.

In each individual case for each child the local authorities response to 'reunification' is "To be decided through court process"

Is this something I can challenge in that the LA have not made for provision (in advance) for reunification in favour of waiting for the outcome of the courts decision.
I am a parent. My responses are not from any formal training background but from my own experiences, my own research and my own point of view.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Now on an ICO

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:55 pm

Dear ignatious,

While there are ongoing care proceedings, any decision about whether or not the children return home will be made within those proceedings. As a parent you will have the benefit of your solicitor and the children have both solicitor and a guardian representing them. Ultimately, the court may be asked to make the final decision. So although the statement is vague, it is probably accurate. Why don't you raises this with your solicitor.

I would expect the social worker, to be considering each possible option as to where the children may live. The first option is always returning home to either or both parents, the pros and cons of this and what support would be needed to ensure the rehabilitation home works.
Have the assessments of you and mum been completed yet? It may be premature to consider what support might be needed for rehabilitation of the children, if the assessment had not been completed. This could be then challengeable by you.

The care proceedings are crucial in deciding where your children will live long term. So if you are considering any challenges, I advise you to, first of all, run this past your solicitor.

Best wishes,

Suzie