Pregnant by a sex offender

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:04 pm

Pregnant by a sex offender

Post by Bettiestrong » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:30 am

Hiya I'm hoping you could help me with a very difficult decision I have to make at the moment.

I have been in a relationship with a man, unknown to me he is on the sex offenders register for possession of a image of a child 3 years ago.

The social services it involved last week due to him staying here as I have children age 10.11.17
Along with now being pregnant with twins 10 weeks gestation.

I no longer want a relationship with hmm as he is a risk to my children but was wondering where the line is drawn to be seen as to being in a relationship.

Like would he be able to contact me via phone? To see how his children are?

I feel I have to consider all possibilities of what could possibly happen to ensure I'm. It putting any of my children at risk.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Pregnant by a sex offender

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:46 pm

Dear Bettiestrong,

Welcome to the Parent’s Forum and congratulations on your pregnancy.
You are asking very important questions about what level of involvement your exe will be allowed to have with his children.
It sounds like you have made a decision not to be in a relationship with him but recognize that there may have to be communication to facilitate his contact with the twins once they are born.

Children services will want there to be a risk assessment of your exe to find out how risky he is to any of your children, and will also want to assess your ability to protect your children from him.
The assessment of his sexual risk to children will need to be carried out by a specialist assessor. Until the risk assessment is completed, (and maybe afterwards) there are likely to be restrictions placed on him. So he is likely to be expected to move out of the family home (if he was still there) and may not be allowed to have any contact with your older children or contact may be supervised at all times with the twins and he may not be involved in any personal care.
The assessment will also look at you, as mum and whether you understand how he could be risky to your children, and whether you can protect your children against those risks or whether you would need support to help you do so.

The type of support could be around attending courses, self- protection work for children and offenders courses for your exe. While you access the support, children's services are likely to remain involved with your family.
Lucy Faithfull Foundation can advise you about risk of sexual abuse, assessments and courses that are available for you, your exe and your children. You should also have a look at the Parents Protect resources on their website.
If at any point, children services suspected that your children were at risk of harm, the assessment will become a child protection investigation and there may be a child protection conference. If that happens, please see the FAQ’s about child protection .

The best way forward when being assessed by a social worker is to be open and honest. Your questions are important, so you should ask the social worker about his involvement with the twins once they are born, and what you need to do to be as protective as possible. Here is some information about children services. Scroll down to the FAQ's at the bottom of the page.

If you have any questions, please post back.

Best wishes,


Post Reply