Successfully negotiating child welfare.

Chancing

Successfully negotiating child welfare.

Post by Chancing » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:44 am

I thought I would post something positive since because people tend to end up here when it's all going wrong, there are rarely any positive posts.

Firstly I am a long-term functioning addict, 20 year s. I have 4 children, 2 boys,2 girls. They live with me, always have. The social are aware of my drug use.
A year ago I became involved with a man who is a RSO and is currently still on licence after serving 4 years custodial.
His crimes were not against a minor, or involving minors, however my daughter's are now at the age his victim was at the time of his offence.
As part of his licence he had to inform both his worker and his police liaison when he entered a relationship.
I, for my part informed child welfare requesting risk assessments.

To those of you who are a partner of a SO, if you want to stay together, it ultimately comes down to you.
Your partner is and for the foreseeable future is considered a risk. This will not change no matter how much you will it.
It's down to you to prove that you are the most effective protection for your child.
Your already on the back foot as you are living with a risk factor. You need to be able to prove You know as much if not more about your partners behaviour and triggers and be willing to act in the best interest of your children's safety.

My partner and I are still together, our children are off the protection register and our file is closed.

I keep contact with our assigned social worker for a couple of reasons, my youngest son has autism and she was invaluable in getting things organized for him, where all my efforts had been stonewalled.
Secondly, I think it much wiser to have an ear inside the welfare in case for some reason things change, then it's unlikely to come as an unpleasant shock.
There is considerably more we did and went through in order to get where we are.
Please feel free to ask any questions or PM me.

Please remember though, this isn't legal advice, or a Guarantee to your situation, I just wanted to assure some of you it is possible to make it through.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Successfully negotiating child welfare.

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Dear Chancing

Thank you for your helpful and positive post.

I am sure other posters in similar circumstances and take comfort that it is possible to come out on the other side even though it will take time and a lot of effort. The importance of working with children's services is something I always suggest and the good outcome for you and your family demonstrates that it is possible.

It is also helpful that you give a realistic outlook rather that making it seem that it will all go smoothly.

Thank you again and best wishes

Suzie

London

Re: Successfully negotiating child welfare.

Post by London » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. I've PM'd you as I'm very interested in hearing any positive advice about dealing with Children's Services and getting through it with a family intact.

London