Supervision Arrangement

Starman1975

Supervision Arrangement

Post by Starman1975 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi

Some advice is required.

My 7 yr old daughter lives with my ex wife who, shortly after separating 2 years ago entered into a relationship with a man who has a conviction for ABH against one of his ex's children, a 6 year old boy (not his own), as well as national police intelligence concerning him, oh, and a drink driving disqualification.

My ex has since had a child by him.

My daughter is subject to a CPP because of this man, who is allowed no unsupervised contact with either child until SS have managed to "assess" him. Although hes always got a weak excuse for not being able to attend such assessments. This no contact rule includes no contact supervised by my ex.

However, SS are considering using my ex's best friend to supervise contact. I am strongly opposed to this. The friend is a bit "wet behind the ears" and I believe could be persuaded by the ex to cover up any problems. SS have carried out a DBS and expect the friend to sign an agreement regarding SS expectations, but I feel this is just to cover their backs in the event of any problems. Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Supervision Arrangement

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Dear Starman 1975

Welcome to the Parents’ Discussion Forum, I see that you joined some time ago but you have only posted now.

My name is Suzie, online adviser, at Family Rights Group. I am sorry that you are so worried about your daughter and the contact she has with her mother’s partner. It appears that children services intend to carry out a risk assessment of this person and, as such, until this assessment is completed he is not able to have unsupervised contact with your daughter or his own child.

You share parental responsibility for your daughter with her mother as you describe her as your ex-wife. A father automatically has parental responsibility when married to the child’s mother. As you have parental responsibility, you have a right to discuss with children services (new name for social services) your concerns about contact and who will supervise it.

In your post you say that you are strongly opposed to your ex-wife’s friend supervising contact as you believe she could not be relied to report any difficulties with contact. Have you informed children services of your concerns, and, more importantly, have you put forward anyone who you consider would be a more suitable supervisor?

I think children services is doing what is considered appropriate whilst carrying out an investigation and as your daughter is on a child protection plan, it is very important that your ex-wife adheres to any agreement that is in place regarding contact. Should she fail to do so and children services become aware of the agreement being breached this might lead to them taking action to escalate the case which could mean considering if they should start care proceedings.

I have included a copy of our advice sheet relating to child protection procedures for your information.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. Monday to Friday.

Hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

Starman1975

Post by Starman1975 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:04 am

Thanks for your reply,

I have voiced my concerns and made an official complaint, but this has been ignored and they have carried on regardless. I am now in the process of making a complaint to the local government ombudsman.

I have not put forward an alternative person to supervise, as I strongly believe that it should be children's services professionals who carry out such supervision.

I fail to see how a friend of the mother is appropriate in the circumstances, and that she will collude with the mother to maintain their friendship. Are they legally allowed to do this, and more importantly, how can they feel comfortable about it.

Many thanks

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:04 pm

Dear Starman1975

Thank you for your further post.

I do not think I am able to add any more to the advice in my previous post about who should supervise contact between your daughter and her mother's partner.

In response to your question as to whether children's services are legally able to follow the process they are at the moment. The answer is that they have done what is required, that is, they have carried out appropriate investigations and a DBS check on the person put forward to supervise contact.

Whilst I understand your concerns children services do not have to supervise contact themselves since your daughter is not in their care or subject to a care order when they would have a duty to promote contact with family and other connected persons.

You are already pursuing a complaint to the local government ombudsman so there little more I can add to the advice given.

Best wishes

Suzie