Can social services ask me for a dna!

Job2903

Can social services ask me for a dna!

Post by Job2903 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Hi, I'm new to this board so sorry if I ramble on.
Basically I'm currently 14 weeks pregnant. Social services have been made aware of my pregnancy and they believe the father is a certain person. My dates (from my scan etc) show he cannot be the father, I knew he wasn't and if there was a tiny chance he was I would be at least 18 weeks. Now social services have asked if I will do a dna test when the baby is born! I am fuming about it!.
Can social services do this as in ask me to do a dna and if so what grounds would it be on.
Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Chancing

Re: Can social services ask me for a dna!

Post by Chancing » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:47 pm

May I ask how social work came to be involved?
Are they requesting DNA on behalf of the possible father.
I don't know if they can do anything other than ask. I think it would be up to the father to go to court to request a DNA test.

Am I correct in thinking there is a dispute about the paternity of your baby?
I would suggest doing it just for a quiet life and,so this other man can go and get on with his life. You sound certain of the situation so it seems pointless to drag it out. Get it done and get shot of him and then you can enjoy your new baby in peace.

I wish you all the best, and hope your pregnancy goes smoothly and your baby is healthy.
Take care.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Dear Job2903,

Welcome to the parents forum. Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I understand that children services are involved. You haven’t said why children services are worried about your unborn baby.
They have asked you to do a DNA test to show who the father is.
I know you feel upset and angry about this, but if a DNA test would exclude a potentially dangerous parent from your baby’s life, then interventions by children services are likely to be much less. It has to be better for both you and your partner.

Will your current partner agree to a DNA test? He would have to provide his own DNA as well as DNA being taken from your baby otherwise a test could not take place.
If you did not agree, children services, during proceedings, can seek an order from the court ordering that a DNA test take place because they are trying to assess for risk. What action they take will depend on what are the risks to your baby.
Why don’t you email and ask them to write to you setting out their reasons for wanting a DNA test: why they cannot rely on your dates and circumstantial evidence and what would they do if you did not agree?
Then you will have a better picture of the best way forward.
Best wishes,

Suzie

Taz2020

Post by Taz2020 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:15 pm

Suzie, FRG Adviser wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:40 pm Dear Job2903,

Welcome to the parents forum. Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I understand that children services are involved. You haven’t said why children services are worried about your unborn baby.
They have asked you to do a DNA test to show who the father is.
I know you feel upset and angry about this, but if a DNA test would exclude a potentially dangerous parent from your baby’s life, then interventions by children services are likely to be much less. It has to be better for both you and your partner.

Will your current partner agree to a DNA test? He would have to provide his own DNA as well as DNA being taken from your baby otherwise a test could not take place.
If you did not agree, children services, during proceedings, can seek an order from the court ordering that a DNA test take place because they are trying to assess for risk. What action they take will depend on what are the risks to your baby.
Why don’t you email and ask them to write to you setting out their reasons for wanting a DNA test: why they cannot rely on your dates and circumstantial evidence and what would they do if you did not agree?
Then you will have a better picture of the best way forward.
Best wishes,

Suzie
Social Services can do anything they like and the family courts will back them up, even if social services lied to the court the court believe them, even you proven it’s a lie. If you don’t do as SS Gestapo do then you my loose your baby the day it’s born so be careful.