Partner no longer on register but social services are getting involved?

Mirage

Partner no longer on register but social services are getting involved?

Post by Mirage » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:34 am

My partner served 3 months in prison for possessing indecent pictures of children. He says he didn't intentionally download them and I believe him. He was young and downloaded a lot of torrents, which is a big risk. He is no longer on the sex offenders register and hasn't been for a few years now. But now social services are getting involved.

Why has it taken them years to get involved? Our daughter was born when he was still on the register, and no one got in touch. She's a toddler now and adores her father, it seems cruel to take her away if there's no immediate risk. They have even admitted apart from his past offence they didn't have any concerns, so it's not like a teacher or Dr got in touch. Did someone else contact social services because they thought our daughter was at risk? If he was still classed as a risk why is he no longer on the register? I'm pretty sure they said they will want to do an assessment, but what will be involved in that? If I stay with him will they take my daughter away? If they give me that ultimatum then I would leave with my daughter, but I'm hoping it won't come to that. I suffer from depression and anxiety so I'm not coping well with all this uncertainty.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Partner no longer on register but social services are getting involved?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:45 am

Dear Mirage

Welcome to the parent’s discussion board. My name is Suzie, one of FRG’s online advisers.

Your partner has a historical conviction for possessing indecent images of children. However, from the information in your post it is not clear how long ago the incident occurred or how ‘young’ he was at the time of the offence. As these factors could be relevant in respect of any assessments of your child's safety and future care planning.

What is evident is that his name has been removed from the sex offender’s register and there appears to have been significant delay before Children’s Services have become involved with your family. Could it be that the school could have raised new concerns about her presentation or behaviour or that someone known to you could have made an anonymous referral to Children's Services?

Particularly, as there is evidence of a developing attachment to her father and it is likely that any significant or unplanned changes could prove unsettling for your daughter. I imagine it is an anxious time with you so it will be important to ensure you are fully supported by relevant professionals during this process.

You can expect that a comprehensive risk assessment will explore what if any risks your partner may continue to pose at this time. Most often this is a time limited piece of work jointly conducted between probation (if they have had extensive involvement) and/ or social workers and will inform the need for any family support or further action that may be required.

I strongly urge you to keep an open mind and fully cooperate with any assessments that are being undertaken in order to ensure the best outcome for your child. You may find it helpful to contact Lucy Faithfull Foundation for further advice.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please contact our free advice line on 0808 801 0366 Monday to Friday. 09.30 am to 03.00 pm.

Best Wishes

Suzie

Mirage

Post by Mirage » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:34 am

Thank you for your reply. The offence in question took place about ten years ago. When I say young I don't mean teen young but very early twenties. He hasn't been on the register for three years now.

I don't think it was the school who raised concerns as we were at a parents evening not too long back and they were very happy with our daughters progress. And I myself haven't noticed an strange behavior from her. In fact any time we've been to the health visitor she always mentions what a bright happy child she is, In fact I recently spoke to her over the phone and she said she had no concerns till she got the report. However since January we are no longer speaking to my partners family. They pretty much disowned him because they he didn't care about them. The reason he doesn't get along with his family is because they aren't very nice people. Very controlling and his mother made me very anxious just being around her. It has crossed our minds that it could be his family who reported us as revenge, but we cannot say for certain.

We will have to attend an initial child protection conference. What are the potential outcomes of the meeting? Is there a way to make sure my daughter is protected but still keep our family together?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:31 pm

Dear Mirage

Thank you for your further post.

You say that you will have to attend a child protection conference. This is happen once the social worker has completed the s.47 child protection enquiries. Please do read the advice sheet relating to child protection procedures which was included in the last post to you. There is also a film on our website which you can watch to get an idea of what will be involved in the initial child protection conference.

Prior to the conference, at least 2 days before, you should receive a copy of the social worker’s assessment report which is likely to make recommendations for a conference. The social worker should go through it with you. If he or she is not able to, then you should note any factual inaccuracies and bring these to the social worker’s attention and also the chair to the initial child protection conference.

The potential outcome of the initial child protection conference which will be attended by professionals involved with your child, is that she could be placed on a child protection plan or a child in need plan. This will depend on the decisions made by each professional attending the conference and the chair. Please read page 7 onwards of advice sheet 9 relating to child protection procedures which you already have for more details. The assessments being carried out is to ascertain how your daughter can be safeguarded in your care with her father or without him living with you.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please do telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open Monday to Friday from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.

I hope you will find this helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie