Solicitor wont support

Post Reply
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:54 pm

Solicitor wont support

Post by Formysonagain » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:04 am

My solicitor sent a letter saying that I would need to pay £480 for prep and first Prohibited steps hearing. I didn't have time to take it for a few days. I went to his office and sent womensaid records to apply with message. But he hasn't tried and still says I need a retainer and can't support me at firsthearing. Is this allowed ? He knows I'm not working. Should he be providing me another Sol from the firm ?
So worried about it. He didn't do anything hardly at final cao hearing. A week isn't long enough to prepare myself last minute. I'm single mum with no support from friends or family hardly and my grandad has just died

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2250
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Solicitor wont support

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:57 am

Dear formysonagain,

I am sorry it has taken time for me to respond to your questions.

I can see that you are in a stressful situation due to domestic violence and I am glad that you are getting the support from Women’s Aid.

You wanted to apply urgently for a prohibited steps order. This is a court order which stops a parent (or someone with parental responsibility) from doing something. For example, it can be used to forbid a parent from taking the child abroad or changing a child’s name or taking a child out of your care or school.

Your question is whether or not you should be getting free legal help (legal aid)?

To find out you could telephone the Civil legal Advice Line on 0345 345 609 6677. They should be able to advise you whether you fit the criteria and tell you which solicitors do legal aid for children law in your area.

Does your solicitor offer legal aid or not. Ask him? If not, and you think you will qualify for legal aid, you could search for another solicitor at the Law society –find a solicitor .

Your local domestic violence support centre might be able to recommend a solicitor for you.

Here is some information on our website about domestic violence and children .

If you have any questions please post back.

Best wishes,




Post Reply