Kinship Carers/Placement of a Teenager?

femmelibre

Kinship Carers/Placement of a Teenager?

Post by femmelibre » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi,
I'll try and keep this short but it gets a bit complicated!

My question is: Can I insist that someone be excluded as an option for a kinship carer?

Background:
My 14 year old took an overdose last week and was admitted to hospital. She was discharged on Mon but point blank refused to return home to me. Social Services were eventually called by the ward staff (I had been trying to get hold of a social worker all day). They said that they had no issue with my daughter being returned home with me but my daughter was adament that she wouldn't citing "I hate it at home". My sister was identified as an immediate temporary place where she could go and be safe. I agreed under pressure that she could stay with my sister (and only my sister) for a couple of days.
My sister then left her with my parents the following day and returned her to school the day after. Returning to school didn't go so well but my daughter had to stay as my sis had gone to work and forgotten her mobile. My sister then said she couldn't take any more time off work and sent her to my parents (who live in London - we don't).

Today:
I have a social worker from the Targeted Youth Team visiting shortly. My teenager has been talking as if she's staying away from my care long term. My sister has admitted that she can't care for G long term. I will say I am VERY greatful to her for stepping in - I just don't think she realised quite what she had let herself in for. My daughter has identified that she wants to be sent to her eldest sister (who also lives in London). My eldest and I have a problematic history. She has refused to speak to me for over a year and over the summer taught her sister how to hide her self harm scars, allowed her to say she was at hers when she was really out drinking and has drip fed "mum is sh*te" at every availible opportunity. I had to stop G going down and staying with her sister - she hated me for it. I didn't stop contact, I insisted my mum should be there. I will do ANYTHING to stop my 14 year old from being sent to her sister.
My problem is that the emergency social worker that we saw at the hospital said the only option was a kinship one as she didn't fit the criteria for removal. I'm petrified that if my daughter won't return home I will be forced to send her to her sister. If that happens in can see a lot of parental alienation and not much hope of rebuilding a relationship with G. I said this to the earlier SW but she told me I was being stubborn and overly dramatic (well you would be if your child has overdosed and refusing to come home!).

So........ anyone know if I can disclude my eldest being considered as a kinship carer. I know that my 14yo won't come home any time soon and I know that this may lead to her being accomodated under a section 20. My only hope is that this way she gets the help she needs without further damage being done.

Thanks.
XXX

Edited by Suzie to remove personal information

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Kinship Carers/Placement of a Teenager?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:46 am

Dear Femmelibre,

Welcome to the Parents board!
I am really sorry to hear about your daughter taking an overdose-it must be a very worrying time for you.
Is the social worker carrying out a needs assessment in respect of your daughter? Please have a look at our advice sheet about these types of assessment.Family Support .

I am not sure what the social worker means and whether there is any legal basis to her view when she says this is only a kinship situation and not removal.
Kinship placements can be available for different legal situations-both when a child is being taken into care (by court order or accommodated-with your agreement),or by a “private arrangement”. Have a look at our advice sheet about
placement with friends and family in an emergency . Page 12 and 13 deal with the case when a child comes into care/accommodation and is then placed with friends or family carers.

You could email or write to the social worker and copy in the team manager;
. Ask what is the current legal basis of your daughter? Is she accommodated or is it a private arrangement?
Re iterate your concerns about her being with your older daughter-as you believe it is not safe-and give reasons-i.e. about her covering up her self harming behaviour in the past.
Is your daughter considered to be homeless? If she is-then the law says that while the needs assessment of your daughter takes place-her legal status should be that of accommodation and there will be Duties owed to her-even if it is decided that she should stay with your elder daughter. So if children services believe her current placement with sister is safe-they will still be expected to carry out checks, and start a fostering assessment in respect of your older daughter.
Think about what support would be helpful to enable your daughter to return home to live with you again. Have a look at the advice sheet about family support-it lists the types of support that might be available.
If you feel that your concerns are not being listened to you can always
challenge a decision of a social worker or make a complaint.

Because of your daughters age, I know there will be a lot of resistance to her coming into the care system. Also because of her age they may assess her to see if she is competent to make her own decisions? If she is, then although they could take into account your views and consult you as a parent, they will have to make decisions, to a large extent, that your daughter agrees with.
I hope you find the advice sheets helpful but please post back if you require further advice and support.

Best wishes,

Suzie