social worker initial assessment

kimberley1991

social worker initial assessment

Post by kimberley1991 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:31 pm

hi, im really worried about my current situation and having social services involved with my child. i have two children who are currently living with their father we are going through court at the moment due to a residency order made by their father and the next hearing is on september 4th. i am pregnant with my third child and i have a new partner and im living with my partners mother in essex, i had a letter saying a social worker is coming out to see me on monday the 15th of july for an initial assessment i am really worried about this as this has been alot of allegations against me as a mother by my ex partner. i had a social worker come out when i was living with my two children and she wrote on the report that i needed help and support and that my children could of been more cleaner and my flat was messy, me and my current partner were also arrested at one point because of my ex partners allegations he made to the police, we was released without charge because they kept
changing their stories etc and now im worried as im having my new baby on the 19th of july via c-section and now im worrying they are gonna take my baby away from me. i am a good mother and my partner is not a danger to our child but i was just wondering if you could maybe give me some advice about monday? and what to expect. many thanks kimberley

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: social worker initial assessment

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi Kimberley 1991

My name is Suzie, one of the Family Rights Group’s online advisers.

I am sorry to hear that you are worried about Children’s Services pre birth assessment of your unborn child, particularly when your older two children are no longer in your care and that you have a particularly complicated relationship with the children’s father.

I understand that it must be a very worrying time for you, as your baby is due to be born in the next couple of weeks. You appear to be in the middle of court proceedings regarding your ex partner’s residence order application. Furthermore, he has made several allegations about you, which must have made it quite a stressful pregnancy.

With regards the new baby, I advise you to fully engage in the pre birth assessment, ensuring your responses are as child focussed as possible, so that professionals can be satisfied you are able to prioritise the baby’s needs. If you feel that some additional help for yourself would be useful, do not be afraid to ask for it, because by doing so, this will be considered a strength on your part, rather than a sign of weakness.

Consider what steps you may have to address past concerns that may have been raised about your parenting capacity. For instance, how you have improved your housing (physical environment), routines, support network, engagement with professionals - and what factors may have prevented you from meeting your children's needs before.

What reports would the midwife provide about your preparations for the new baby during the ante natal period, and the level of family support that you require at this time?

You may agree to a family group conference referral being made, so that you can be involved in making safe plans alongside extended family and friends. Try to be open to offers of support you would agree to, before and once the baby arrives.

In your post you say that you and your partner were arrested as a result of false allegations that were made about you, but that you were then released without charge. Are you fairly confident these issues have been fully addressed, and that no similar concerns could be reported?

I am not sure if you have a solicitor representing you in the current private law proceedings, if so I suggest you work with them really closely to see what else they can advise.

If you wish to discuss your situation in more detail, please feel free to contact our advice line on 0808 801 0366 Monday to Friday 09.30 am to 03.00 pm.

Best Wishes

Suzie