End of my tether!

Hayley

End of my tether!

Post by Hayley » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:13 am

I am a single mum of 2 boys aged 7 and 10. My eldest son has had a lot of difficulties from an early age, as he's gotten older the violent outbursts and foul language has progressed severely. He was diagnosed with Social Emotional Behaviour Disorder (SEBD) 5 yrs ago and just recently Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) due to an incident 4 yrs ago. We had a visit from Children's Services as I've been needing more support at home and school, they have agreed that both boys should be placed on a Child in Need case as its now affecting my youngest son. This was at the middle of July, they stressed that he needs help and support as soon as, now I understand that it would take some time to be allocated a worker but still no joy. My frustration extends as I rang Children's Services at the start of September to be told that we had been allocated someone, great news? Unfortunately she was off on leave until the 12th Sept. so I rang back then to find out when we would have a visit to discuss the current situation at home, the worker was off sick and a temporary worker taking on the case. I rang again yesterday as I still have had no correspondence from them only to be told that my boys have not been allocated a worker! I'm so confused and ready for screaming, I do everything right by my kids and sometimes think that if beating them would maybe get me the help I need. I think the system is completely wrong and would appreciate any advise to try and get the support we desperately need.
Hayley
Last edited by Hayley on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: End of my tether!

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:32 am

Hi Hayley

Welcome to the board.

It sounds like in spite of your children being Children in Need under section 17 Children Act, I sense your frustration because it is clear that inspite of their complex needs , they are not being treated as as a priority at the moment.

After several reassurances you are still waiting for Children's Services to allocate a social worker, three months on. This is clearly unacceptable, and you would have grounds for formal complaint.

Perhaps you could start by raising your concerns by letter or e-mail with the team manager, asking for a meeting to discuss these, and requesting they respond in writing within 7 days. You are probably aware that the child in need plan is a voluntary agreement with the Local Authority but within this there is a timescale of expectations and family support that you are entitled to.

If you wish to discuss your situation in more detail please contact the Family Rights Group advice line on 0808 801 0366 Monday to Friday 09.30 am to 03.30 pm.

Best Wishes

Suzie