Need help for my 16year old son

Angelhrt084

Need help for my 16year old son

Post by Angelhrt084 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:35 pm

My son is currently under a care order and is actively planning to run away. He’s desperate to get home and his wishes and feelings aren’t being heard, his education is suffering and at this rate he has little chance of gaining qualifications through GCSE. He hasn’t taken maths since January, he’s continuously getting F’s in maths and English. He’s violent because this is the only way he is listened to, his emotional needs are being neglected in the children’s home and he’s reached out to me in hope I will help him. He’s told me he’s running away and his mind can’t be changed, he wants to be at home and this is the only way he will be listened to.

Where does he stand from a legal point of view? I’m not turning my son away, if he chooses to come home, I’m not closing the door and I’ve made children’s services aware of this many times.
Please help, I need to help my son but I don’t want him making things worse for himself.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Need help for my 16year old son

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:06 pm

Dear Angelhrt084

Welcome to the Board.

I am sorry to hear about your son’s situation. May I suggest a couple of things? In the first instance do (if possible) have a word with the social worker responsible for him and the independent reviewing officer (IRO). You say that he wants to return home, I suggest that you read our advice sheet about Duties on Children’s Services when children are in the care system and our advice sheet about Reuniting children in the care system with their families.

For your son it may be helpful if you could let him know that an advocate might be able to help him communicate his wishes feelings to the professionals involved in his life. Coram Voice and the National Youth Advocacy Service are two charities that may help.

I hope this information is useful.

Best wishes

Suzie