NEED HELP FOR RUN AWAY DAUGHTER

shiphrah2005

NEED HELP FOR RUN AWAY DAUGHTER

Post by shiphrah2005 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:45 am

I have a issue with my daughter ( age 13) and need help or advice. My daughter ran away to her grandmother's (my mother) house after school on a Friday.I haven't spoken to my mum for two years and we don't get along. I called my mum to see if she was there but my mother & my brother told me she wasn't there. I called her friends and one lied to me and told me she hasn't seen her but my daughter was with her at the time, this was around 5pm. I had to call the police, which was around 7:30pm and they told me they were on their way, and should take 60 minutes for them to turn up.
Last edited by shiphrah2005 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: NEED HELP FOR RUN AWAY DAUGHTER

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:56 pm

Dear Shiphrah,

Welcome to the Parents Forum. I can see that your daughter, aged 13, has run away a few times to your mother’s home. Your mother instead of letting you know where your daughter was had lied to you and you have had to involve the police.

It doesn’t sound like the police were worried about your daughter’s safety and so no referral has been made to children services.

Sometimes when children run away from home as well as their behaviour changing at school can be worrying signs.
In case there is something worrying, I suggest that you communicate with the school to ensure that you know how she is and whether the school can offer any support. Maybe a mentor or counsellor could speak to her at school about what’s happening.

You could ask for an assessment or seek early help via children services. Here is information about early help.

You ask about what you can do legally if she runs away to grandmothers again.

You do not need to get a court order as you already have “parental responsibility” for your daughter and grandmother does not. Here is information about parental responsibility .

But given your daughters age, she is 13, means that your legal rights and responsibilities (parental responsibility) towards your daughter will be slowly diminishing as she grows toward being an adult. At 13, she may be competent to make a lot of her own decisions including staying at her grandmother’s home and you may not be able to stop her.

It can be difficult for parents to adjust to these changes so you could contact Family Lives who offer very good advice. Have a look at Family Lives- Got a Teenager. Or you could speak to an adviser by telephone.

I hope this helps but please post again if you have any questions or call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,

Suzie

shiphrah2005

Post by shiphrah2005 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi Suzie,

Thank you for you reply. My mum contacted social services and they coming to see me. Can i deny them coming to see me? cause i've spoken to school with daughter and things are better

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Hello Shiphrah2005

Thanks for posting again and it is good that you have been able to resolve some things with your daughter.

I do not think it would be a good idea to prevent a social worker from children’s services (new name for social services) coming to see you. This could give rise to concerns that there are things that you do not want them to know about.

A copy of our advice sheet about what happens when children’s services receive a referral is here An introductory guide to Children’s Services for your information. It is possible that there is a decision to take no further action after meeting with you but the fact that your 13 year old daughter ran away means the social worker will want to know more about this and, if necessary offer advice and support. This advice sheet Family support explains the kind of support that could be offered

You can of course telephone our free confidential advice line to speak to an adviser. The advice line can be reached on 0808 801 0366. The line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie