Page 1 of 1

minor sex offense

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:16 pm
by cornishguy91
hello im not sure if this is the right forum for this so please move it if so

Ive currently filled a c1 c4 and c100 into my local family court but the big problem is i have a minor sex offense from back in 2009

my question is would a minor sex offense stop me from getting access to see my children. i have tried searching online for hours and i have not yet come across any law that states a minor sex offender must not have contact with his children

if someone could help me with this it would be appreciated

many thanks

Re: minor sex offense

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:49 pm
by Suzie, FRG Adviser
Dear cornishguy91

Welcome to the Family Rights Group Parents’ Discussion Forum.

My name is Suzie, online adviser, at Family Rights Group.

I am sorry that you have not been able to have contact with your children.

You have now started the process to try to get an order from the court to do so.

As far as your sex offence is concerned, it is likely that you may need to have a risk assessment to see what level of risk you might post to the children. You have not given any details relating to your conviction, whether you have restriction on being with children or if you are registered on the sex offenders register.

You may find it helpful to contact the Lucy Faithfull Foundation as they will be able to give you more detailed advice about risk assessments and contact with children when you are a sex offender. Their telephone number is 0808 100 0900 and the website is here

I suggest that you contact Child Law Advice Service on 0300 330 5480. They will be able to advise you about the court process and making your application if you do not have a solicitor representing you.

I hope you will find this helpful.

Best wishes


Re: minor sex offense

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:23 pm
by cornishguy91
my offence was sending indecent images to a minor via facebook

though i was only 18/19 at the time so very young my self

i was on the sex offenders for 2 years and that finished over 5 years ago

i have tried contacting social services about a risk assessment but they seem to keep telling me they no longer do them

Re: minor sex offense

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:29 am
by Suzie, FRG Adviser
Dear Cornishguy,

As you have issued private law proceedings, the court are likely to order a section 7 report to be completed by a court social worker (CAFCASS officer). So children services are unlikely to be involved at this stage. Instead the cafcass officer can contact children services, if they need to.
The cafcass officer will do all the necessary background checks and assessments of you, your children and the other parent and prepare a report.
Their report will be like the “ears and eyes” of the court so will carry a lot of weight.

In deciding whether or not to grant any court orders, the court will decide what’s in your childrens best interests. The court will look at the welfare checklist to guide it. There is also presumption that it is in a child’s best interests to have involvement by both parents.
Because you will be seen to be potentially risky to your children until an assessment proves otherwise, contact is likely to be in a supervised setting first of all.

I certainly would seek guidance from the Lucy Faithfull Foundation. They run specialised assessments and programmes. Any measures you take to obtain an assessment of your risk and then undertake courses to reduce any risk identified can only be a helpful thing. These course take time as well.
We don’t give detailed advice about private child law proceedings as it is not in our remit.
You could try Advice Now or the child law advice line I gave in my previous post to you or seek advice from a children law solicitor or direct access barrister.

Best wishes,


Re: minor sex offense

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:29 pm
by PerfectlySafeDad
Sickening. All these layers, all this bureaucracy and state threat - in the name of God and human decency isn't it plainly obvious that a lusty little act over social media as a teenager for Christ's sake does not equal being a bad father in later life. Zero correlation. Lunatics are in charge of the asylum.