Nothing for 7 years, then boom !!

oldbloke

Nothing for 7 years, then boom !!

Post by oldbloke » Mon May 22, 2023 12:10 pm

Long story, as short as possible. Grandaughter, then 4.5 been with us (grandparents) for 7.5 years, court order to live with us till 16/18. as part of order, BM was supposed to contact the local contact centre to arrange visits. This never happened, not even once.No phone calls, emails,nothing, not a peep

Roll on 7 years, and out of the blue she contacted grandaughter via social media, having searched for her, to tell her she had 2 siblings, something we knew but had not told grandaughter (got enough on plate with 1st year at secondary).

Grandaughter took it well,after a few tears and blocked her mum, subsequent phone call from better half to BM to tell her to use proper channels in future, ie go back to court, which i suspect is unlikely

However, should she attempt anything...thoughts

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Nothing for 7 years, then boom !!

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed May 31, 2023 10:15 am

Dear oldbloke,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post.

Family Rights Group provide advice to people who have children’s social services involvement (or who would like support from them) so unfortunately your enquiry is not entirely within our remit, however I hope the following brief information and signposting is of help to you.

For private law matters Child Law Advice have an adviceline. Their number is 0300 330 5480. Kinship provide advice to kinship carers and can be contacted on 0300 123 7015. Ultimately, if you have parental responsibility for your granddaughter and you do not agree to allow the contact that her mother asks for then her mother can make an application to the family court. The court would consider her request, your response and your granddaughter’s views, before concluding whether contact arrangements would be in your granddaughter’s best interests.

I hope that this is of some help.

Best wishes,
Suzie