Having a friend at assessment

Poppins55

Having a friend at assessment

Post by Poppins55 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:52 pm

Hi, I want to support my friend during a difficult assessment to be SGO for her grandson. She's finding the process difficult and has asked if I can be present to support her. Her SW has said no, due to confidentiality, GDPR and the care proceedings in court. Is this correct ???
Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Having a friend at assessment

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:03 am

Dear Poppins55

Welcome to our Forum,

The process of assessment should be a ‘private’ one and is a confidential one too. Broadly speaking the assessment is about your friend’s ‘ability’ to meet the needs of the child. It may be that as her friend you will offer support through helping her with childcare or days out in the future, for example, and at this point you may be deemed a person in her ‘support network’: the social worker should be advised of this.

With regard to support, perhaps your friend has not been clear with the social worker what she needs support with, we have some tips about working with social workers, you can find them here.

Our assessment guide may be a helpful resource for your friend too, it is here. If you are able to go through it with her, she may ‘get a better understanding’ of the process and could approach the social worker again explaining to them what she is finding difficult during the assessment. There is a ‘wealth of information’ on our website about special guardianship, you can find it here.

Do advise your friend to call us on our telephone advice service, we would be happy to speak with her. Our lines are confidential and are open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 3.00pm. The number is 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes
Suzie