SG Allowance Review

sted33

SG Allowance Review

Post by sted33 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:09 pm

Hi, I have for 12 years received a SG allowance from the local authority and every January receive a review form which includes the demand for the last 3 monthly bank statements. I have always concurred with this but have redacted outgoings. This has never been questioned until this January.

They are now asking for the bank statements to show all movements on pain of the allowance being stopped. I have questioned this as for 12 years the redacted statements have been acceptable. The answer comes back that the rules have changed.

Do I have any say in this or do I have to comply or lose my allowance for my granddaughter.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: SG Allowance Review

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:38 pm

Dear sted33,

Welcome to the kinships carers’ forum and thankyou for your post.

The Special Guardianship Regulations 2005 state (in regulations 13(2) and 13(3) that children’s services should take account of the person’s means, and this includes “what they need to meet their reasonable outgoings and financial commitments”. I would suggest therefore that it would be in line with these regulations for the local authority to request evidence of your outgoings and well as income. We have an advice sheet ’Practical and financial support for special guardians’ which I would suggest you read through as well. See pages 4 to 5 regarding your query.

I would suggest that you ask the local authority for a copy of their friends and family care (kinship) policy so that you can see exactly what has been changed. You may also be able to find it using this page on our website.

I would also suggest that you look at the court paperwork from when the SGO was issued. This may have information on it regarding the financial support that children’s services agreed to.

I hope that this is helpful. If you have any further queries then please post back again, or call our advice line on 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday, 9:30am – 3pm) to discuss in more detail with one of our advisers.

Best wishes
Suzie