SGO Granted after 11 hearings - 3 years!

neverendingstory

SGO Granted after 11 hearings - 3 years!

Post by neverendingstory » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:02 pm

Thought I would post it on here, not sure if right place.

Hi all, after three long years, we finally got our SGO for my nephew in january 2012.

We were advised by the judge on the 10th hearing to get legal representation for final hearing.
We instructed Ridley & Hall. The judge didn't want to rule on costs so asked us to go into mediation with LA and if they wouldn't play ball, then he would make a ruling in April 2012.

We have so far spent £2,500 on solicitors costs and want to claim compensation for the unbelievable stress our whole family have suffered. The Team Manager actually stood up in court and said "it would be unethical for me to say that this was not a placement", so my nephew was classed as a LAC from March 2009 until January 2012. I have been told that after one year a foster carer is entitled to level 2. payments. We haven't a clue what to claim for so any advice on this subject would be appreciated. We have been made to feel guilty for every penny that we have asked for, not that any amount of money can take away all the stress that we have suffered, but we want them to make right how they have treated us and for it not to happen to anyone else in their Borough. Would so love to hear from anyone that has gone through this and come out the other end. Many thanks.

I would also like to take this opportunity of thanking everyone on this board for their invaluable advice and support. It just shows if you have the strength to fight you can win! I wouldn't want anyone else to have to go through what we have been through in the last 3 years.

Kate

Re: SGO Granted after 11 hearings - 3 years!

Post by Kate » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:39 pm

Congratulations on getting the SGO at long last! :D You will get very helpful advice here from others who have had to fight their way to get financial recognition at long last - wishing you all the very best with this.

blackstar26

Re: SGO Granted after 11 hearings - 3 years!

Post by blackstar26 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:10 pm

hi ya, i have been looking after my niece for a year now getting a weekly allowance, as from the 7th december we passed panel and since then no one has been in contact with us. Then on the 8th january my nieces social worker asked us to go for and sgo, Do we have to take it as we are quite happy fostering and everything iv read about sgos are not good, any advice welcome. my niece is nearly five by the way.