Want to get them back

Lostaunt

Want to get them back

Post by Lostaunt » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:00 pm

I’m wondering if it’s possible to get my niece and nephews back from foster care
When they was originally looking to be fostered, I was in an unstable relationship that I know would be ending soon. The relationship has now ended and I am in a much better place to look after them and meet their needs. Is it possible for me to try and get them back from the current foster carers and for me to be the foster carer or Guardian just so they are out of foster care. Thanks for any advice given more help.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Want to get them back

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:29 pm

Dear Lostaunt

Welcome to the kinship carers’ discussion forum and thank you for posting.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. I see from your post that you felt unable to take on the care of your niece and nephew but now would like to have them in your care.

You have not given enough information to be able to advice you fully in respect of your question. It depends on whether there are ongoing care proceedings, or the case has ended and there is a final care order in favour of the local authority. If the case has ended, you would need to approach the local authority children’s services department and ask to be assessed to care for the children.

I do not know if you were approached by children’s services but did not at the time want to be assessed because of your relationship. They might take the view that you did not at that time put the children’s needs first at that time but it maybe they are still willing to consider you now.

A lot will also depend on whether this foster placement is for permanent long-term care, or the children may be moved to different foster carers. The children’s ages and their individual needs will be important factors as well as the care plan which the court approved if the case has ended.

It is possible that the children are in foster care under a s.20 voluntary arrangement with their parent(s). This would mean there is no order but children’s services has arranged for them to be accommodated.
Here are links relating to child in care under a court order and s.20 voluntary arrangement which will give you more information.

The best way to find out if you would be allowed to care for your niece and nephew would be to contact children’s services and explain what you would like to happen.

You can post again with more details relating to your niece and nephew, but should you wish to speak to one of our experienced advisers about this, you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays).

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Suzie