Sgo help please. No support

Lostwithnosupport

Sgo help please. No support

Post by Lostwithnosupport » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:54 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new to the group after finding it very hard to get any type of support or advice.

So a little back story, won't go into to much, my nephew lives with us under a court order, we have passed panel for sgo, just awaiting final hearing.
*Mum is going to contest
My brother carnt have him as he's failed all assessments, he understands why and needs to sort his housing and mental health out first.

Mum and sister called myself a four letter word starting with C, Infront of sw, at a family conference, sister tried to attack me, and told my partner she was a stupid b word.

The same week mum stormed out a lac review, and then also shouted at me Infront of the children.

Mum now is refusing to work with me around contact, SW wants to get it all in place before the final hearing.

I don't have a solicitor, as I'm not party to proceedings, I feel alone and have no clue.

If we didn't go for the sgo my nephew would of been twin tracked.

Any advice on what the judge could do in regards to mum's behaviour towards me, as SW don't seem to think it's bad.

Many thanks. :D

Nannyloves2

Re: Sgo help please. No support

Post by Nannyloves2 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:51 am

First of all, when you go to court request to be made party to proceedings, that's what I did, and they covered my solicitor fees.
Once that's in place you'll be able to raise all your concerns via your solicitor.
Best of luck

Lostwithnosupport

Post by Lostwithnosupport » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:29 pm

Thank you for your reply, I've not been asked to go to court.
SW has now said they will pay for one session with my solicitor to give advice around the care plan.
X

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:56 pm

Dear Lostwithnosupport,

Welcome to the Kinship carers’ forum. My name is Suzie and I am the adviser for Family Rights Group. I hope that the following advice is of some help to you.

As Nannyloves2 said, you could request that you are made party to proceedings in the court process. It is likely that you would then be entitled to legal aid and would be able to have a solicitor representing you. As things stand at the moment you won’t be asked to go to a court hearing (as you are not a party yet) so I would suggest that you contact the Family Court directly and ask for permission to attend the next hearing. You can also ask to be made a party to proceedings at this point.

We have more information in our advice sheet 2c – “DIY special guardianship orders – care proceedings” which I would suggest you read through carefully. Pages 9-12 have information about becoming a party to proceedings which you may find particularly helpful. You can find this advice sheet HERE.

It is also important that you get legal advice from a solicitor about the financial support that you are being offered (also known as an ‘SGO allowance’). A solicitor can check that children’s services are offering you an amount that is in line with their obligations. Children’s services should pay for this advice. It is important to make sure that you are happy with the financial support being offered before the final order is made as it is difficult to challenge once the court process has finished. We have another advice sheet which I would suggest that you read through as it has advice about financial and practical support for special guardians. You can find this advice sheet HERE.

I hope that this is of some help. You may find it useful to call our free, confidential adviceline on 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday, 9:30am – 3pm). An adviser can then give more detailed advice. We also have a webchat which is currently open on Monday and Wednesday afternoons.

Best wishes,
Suzie