Viability assessment

Mimi74

Viability assessment

Post by Mimi74 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:24 pm

I'd like some advice if possible. My niece was born 9 weeks early. She was due on the 22nd of August. She was immediately placed into interim foster care when she left hospital. Alongside other family members we have had our viability assessment and are waiting on the outcome. During a family conference meeting the biological mum of the baby noted who she'd prefer the baby to be cared by, and that if they failed the viability assessment that she'd want the baby adopted. My family and I do not know mum very well as we're related to the baby's father. Consequently, because mum is autistic she is very tunnel visioned, and because she does not know us well as noted that she doesn't want her baby to be cared by us. Does that mean that even if we pass the assessments, viability and kinship we probably wouldn't be able to foster my niece?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Viability assessment

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:28 pm

Dear Mimi74,

Welcome to the kinship carers’ forum and thank you for your post.

You say that you have had a viability assessment in regards of your niece who is currently being looked after by foster carers. The mother has said that she doesn’t want her baby to be cared for by you and your mother and that she would prefer the baby to be adopted rather than for you to care her. You ask whether this means that you wouldn’t be able to care for your niece (even if you pass all the assessments).

Although children’s services should take into consideration the views of the birth parents, they can make a recommendation which goes against against the wishes of the parents. Therefore if children’s services decide that you and your mother are the best long term option to care for your niece they will recommend this to the court despite the mother's wishes. Ultimately it will be the court’s decision as to who will care for the baby long term.

You say that you are awaiting the outcome of the viability assessment. If this is negative then you are able to appeal – please see our website HERE for more information about how to do this. The webpage also contains a link to a template letter that you can use to send to children’s services if you would like to challenge the assessment and request a new one be carried out.

If the viability assessment is positive then I would suggest that you get some more advice around the possible long term options. As your niece is so young it would be unusual for children’s services to suggest long term foster care; it is more common for them to suggest that the carer gets a Special Guardianship Order. You can find more information on our website about these options – please see our advice sheets HERE and our website HERE and HERE.

It is very important that you get comprehensive advice about the options if you get to this stage as the amount of practical and financial support you are offered can vary. If you do get to this stage then I would encourage you to call our helpline or post again so that you can discuss with an adviser. Kinship are a charity who also support kinship carers and they have an advice service as well.

I hope that this is helpful. Please post again if you would like further advice, or call our helpline on 0808 801 0366 (Monday – Friday, 9:30am – 3pm).

Best wishes,
Suzie