SGO issue

Lincoln

SGO issue

Post by Lincoln » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:34 pm

Our newborn granddaughter was placed with us in February this year.
All has gone well and we have been directed to an SGO, hearing next month.
The financial support plan is very poor and we decided that it would be best to remain as long-term foster carers for her until such time as the local authority paid attention to the recent guides and advice from the government and organizations regarding kinship carers' financial support.

This morning we are advised that if we do not accept the SGO our granddaughter will be removed from us and sent for adoption and we shall never see her again.

Is this really how the system works? :shock:

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: SGO issue

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:50 pm

Dear Lincoln

Welcome to the kinship carers’ forum and thank you for your post.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group and I will be responding to your post. I am sorry that you are having a difficult time dealing with children’s services at present regarding your granddaughter’s long-term placement.

The short answer to your question “Is this really how the system works?” is no.

You are currently looking after your granddaughter as a kinship foster care and the plan appears from your post to be for you to have a special guardianship order for your granddaughter. The financial package offered you consider is poor. It is not clear if what you have been offered is not in line with what the local authority currently pays to their kinship foster carers. They should not offer you a lesser amount than they would pay unrelated foster carer.
Have you been able to obtain legal advice in respect of the support package being offered? If not, you may wish to consider doing so. You can request that children’s services pay for you to have this legal advice.

The way you were told that your granddaughter would be removed from your care seems wholly inappropriate. I should point out that because of your granddaughter’s age it is unlikely that children’s services long term plan would be foster care. It is usually the case that a permanency placement is sought either a special guardianship order or adoption if no suitable family or friend’s placement can be identified. I do not think the court would consider that the issues of financial support a reason to say a family placement should be is not viable. Have you spoken to the children’s guardian about your concerns about the support package being offered?

You may find it helpful to read this information care proceedings .

Whilst I am aware that there are discussions about the support kinship carers receive now, I do not think children’s services are going to agree to long-term fostering for a baby. I suggest you identify the specific concerns you have relating to the support package and ask the social worker to give a written response to the points you raise to help you make an informed decision.

You may find it helpful to read information the special guardianship as well as information relating to the support a special guardian can expect.

Adoption severs all legal ties with the birth family and, unless adopters are agreeable to contact then there will be no contact. There could be letter box contact for parents if their child is adopted. I do hope you and children’s services can work together to get the best outcome for your granddaughter. The court decides whether a child should be adopted, and all the circumstances will be considered by the court before that decision is made.

Should you wish to discuss the matter further with an adviser, feel free to call our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope this is helpful

Best wishes

Suzie