Transferring fostering service

Busymama

Transferring fostering service

Post by Busymama » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:24 pm

It has recently come to my attention that foster carers have the right to move to a different fostering agency and continue to care for the young person placed with them even if moving from a LA service to a private service. However it is not clear whether these same rules apply to friends and family foster carers who have full approval and have completed there TSD’s. Can anyone clarify the guidance surrounding this? The reason for asking is that the current LA that we have been approved by to care for our family member is providing a poor service in terms of support and has recently been given an inadequate ofstead rating. For the past 3years I have been dissatisfied with the level of support and have followed the complaints process however nothing is improving. The latest ofstead report has highlighted much of the same concerns we have experienced and I’m aware that other foster carers at the agency are transferring to agency’s to feel better supported. The LO siblings are also looked after by ordinary foster carers whom we have regular contact with and it is evident that the agencies they work for are more proactive at addressing the needs of their carers and families. Both agencies have provided extra support in house to the children such as play therapy that the LA was unable to provide. Surely friends and family should also have this right to get access to better support for their young person?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Transferring fostering service

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:45 pm

Dear Busymama,

Welcome to the kinship carers’ forum and thank you for your post.

You would like to know if you can transfer as a kinship foster carer from the local authority to a private fostering service.

The transfer of foster carers between fostering services is governed by a protocol known as the ‘Transfer Protocol’ as well as some ‘guiding principles’. You can find a copy of the transfer protocol by clicking this link and the guiding principles by clicking here. The principles of the transfer protocol state that all foster carers have the right to freedom of movement between fostering services, and does not exclude kinship foster carers.

The organisation ‘Fosterline’ provide expert advice to foster carers and I would suggest that you may wish to get in touch with them to discuss your situation in more detail. Their helpline is 0800 040 7675 and you can find information about your query on their website here.

I hope that the above is of some help. Please post again if you have any further queries or you can call our free confidential helpline on 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday, 9:30am – 3pm) to speak with one of our advisers.

Best wishes,
Suzie