Need urgent advice

DB182
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: Need urgent advice

Post by DB182 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:16 am

Hi hope everyone is well. Just a quick update where supposed to be back in court next week. Anyway I received a email saying the mothers parenting assessment hasn't been done due to the social worker being off sick...so they have asked for a 6 week extension from the middle of the month. Our assessment isn't complete due to our assessor being off so they have asked him how long he will need to finish off...so they have asked if all parties think it should go back court sooner to say things need finishing and for the delay....I emailed back saying I emailed other week regarding it going back sooner. And now with all this I'm extremely concerned with the delays. I've asked them to let me know if either the local authority or gs guardians solicitor are gonna take it back sooner. Or can I and will they cover the cost.... I really cant afford to pay more money out atm in time. And contacts with this covid is a nightmare last week we never even got to see him because it wouldn't connect. We havent had no pictures or anything from the 18th may due his social worker being off so we have a stand in who's doing the video calls when it connects. I sent a email weeks ago asking for all parties to consider taking me out of the pool based on the medical report and for it to go back to court so I could take over the care. Never replied.

DB182
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: Need urgent advice

Post by DB182 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:37 pm

Hi suzie I was wondering if you could help I'm back in court tomorrow... the guardians solicitor as told all parties I should be removed from the pool based on the report so I could care for gs in the interim..if as told them to go and get the parents thoughts on them giving us our gs in the Interim....what will happen if the mother says no she dont agree.

User avatar
Robin D
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Need urgent advice

Post by Robin D » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:33 pm

Hi DB182.

'Suzie' is a member of staff at FRG and works more or less office hours so I'll answer your question as best I can as I know it's very worrying with the court due tomorrow. We've been in that position many times.

It's excellent news that the guardian (who 'instructs the solicitor' on behalf of the child) wants you removed from the pool of potential perpetrators.

If the guardian is happy your grandson comes to you, but mum objects, it will really depend why she objects. However, as always the court will apply the welfare principle and make a decision based on what it sees as being in the best interests of the child. Even if the court does not make that decision in your favour tomorrow, it doesn't mean the end. I suspect the court might then ask SS or the guardian to look into the matter and come back with firm recommendations at a date in the near future.

Another factor is that most parents will eventually recognise that if the child is with a family member, they at least will have some chance of contact and will retain at least some parental responsibility. If the child gets adopted by strangers, it's very much less likely.

Don't forget, it's important that when the time comes, the transfer of care for the child is done carefully and thoughtfully to avoid emotional damage to him so it a gradual transfer is proposed, please go along with it as long as the timescales are sensible.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

DB182
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: Need urgent advice

Post by DB182 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:30 am

Hi robin thank you for the reply and your advice. Yeh she said she was getting in contact this morning with ss to see what there opinions was as well and we will know more in the other advocates meeting this morning. Tbh I'm not holding my breath at things going our way today because I know she will object and I totally agree about the transfer and it taking time.

DB182
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: Need urgent advice

Post by DB182 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:56 pm

Just received a call from fostering saying they want to speak to us separately on Thursday first they will speak to me then they will do a separate call to my other half. Does anyone know what this will be for. God they make me nervous 🤣

User avatar
Robin D
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Need urgent advice

Post by Robin D » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:12 pm

They need to speak to people separately to ensure one partner is not being unduly pressured by the other, and both are roughly singing from the same songbook. Nothing unduly to fret about.
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

DB182
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: Need urgent advice

Post by DB182 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:25 pm

Oh right thank you. Could really do with this being over my nerves are shot lol

User avatar
Robin D
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Need urgent advice

Post by Robin D » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:40 pm

It's really stressful and at times you will feel out of control. Stay calm, stay safe and concentrate on what is best for your grandchild. Hopefully it will all work out in the end.
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

DB182
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: Need urgent advice

Post by DB182 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:20 pm

It sure is and I know. I appreciate all the advice. Thank you. Robin

DB182
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: Need urgent advice

Post by DB182 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:44 pm

HI just been informed we are at panel on Thursday regarding our fostering. They have said they cant recommend us based on where still in the pool. Even though I asked to be removed based on the medical evidence. The judge asked me to remain at least until the end of july until they had more stuff in..they asked local authority to finish our assessment by then but they said that was impossible because we was only going to panel in August so the asked for a update viability assessment now I've been told where at panel Thursday wth

Post Reply