travel abroad

Post Reply
User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 542
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: travel abroad

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:59 am

Dear Irene,

The law (s14C(3) Children Act 1989) says that dad will need to get the written consents of both the special guardian (s) and mum before he can take his child abroad.
He should take the letters of consent with him, so that he can show it to the immigration officers, if asked. He could also take a copy of the birth certificate with him as well.

Here is some helpful information about permissions to take a child abroad.

If mum refuses to consent, he will need to make an application to court for a specific issue order. The courts decision will be based on what is in the best interests of the child.

I hope this helps but if you have further questions, please post back.

Best wishes,


Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:19 pm

Re: travel abroad

Post by Tryinghard69 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:51 pm

Though to be fair, I have taken our SGO child abroad several times (she has a different surname to me, my husband and my 3 kids) and never been asked for any documentation except for her passport - this is to Europe and also to the USA and Canada.

Post Reply