CAO process

Mammanenna

CAO process

Post by Mammanenna » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:43 am

Hi all,
I am being assessed to care for nephew who is currently in foster care.
Initially it was for an SGO, but i found out yesterday that it is going to be for a child arrangements order instead.
I know the process of the SGO application and assessment like the back of my hand as i have researched it to within an inch of its life.
I cannot find any information on the process of a CAO application or process.
I have had a viability assessment done which was positive, and the LA are going to support my application and present it to the court.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what the process will be and possibly also why it is now going to be a cao for 12 months and not an sgo which it was for initially?
Do i have parental responsibility? Do I receive any financial help as i would have sone with an sgo? Is it possible for them to "take" the child back at the end of the 12 months? or do they grant these with a view to the child remaining in the same care after the yr but not having to pay for the sgo assessment themselves?
Thanks.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: CAO process

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:02 pm

Dear Mamanenna

My name is Suzie, an adviser from the Family Rights’ Group, an organisation that offers advice to families involved with Childrens’ Services. I am pleased to hear that your viability assessment was positive and that Childrens’ Services are supporting your application.

In the first instance, I would be asking the social worker on what basis the Local Authority changed its care plan changed, when you were under the impression that they were supporting you to become a Special Guardian.

Both a Special Guardianship Order and a Child Arrangement Order are permanent orders designed to last until a child reaches 18. Under a Child Arrangement Order you would share parental responsibility with those who already have it. For instance, this may include the parents or previous carers who have been granted this through a court.

A Child Arrangement Order is most appropriate when there is a possible chance a parent may be able to address the concerns about their parenting capacity. It is most successful when there is already a relatively good working relationship between all parties and nothing to suggest this will not continue well into the placement. Under a Special Guardianship Order it is expected that after a child has been placed the day to day care and contact arrangements will not be in dispute.

A Special Guardianship Order, on the other hand is more appropriate when there and less chance of a child being able to return home and potential difficulties in the current relationships and may be issues around placement instability and inconsistent decision making that may be impacting on the child’s welfare. The Special Guardians are awarded exclusive parental responsibility, are authorised to write a will or appoint a testamentary guardian for a child in their care.

In each situation, you can ask to be assessed for discretionary, means tested allowances. Hopefully, some of the users on the forum will be able to offer you their invaluable support in respect of the day to day reality of caring for a child under an SGO or CAO.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes

Suzie

Mammanenna

Post by Mammanenna » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:34 pm

Hi suzie. Thanks for replying.
I have read the email again and it states that it would be a cao with a supervision order for a set time, after which i can apply for an sgo.
We have been told that the child will not be returning to bp and the only other option is adoption.
With what you have said, i am suprised they have suggested the cao as my brother is estranged from the family and has been making death threats to the family who are being assessed.
Not exactly the best relationship. I havent seen or spoken to my brother in years.
I have just this mimute been advised that no order has been decided on and it is for the court to decide at the hearing. Does this sound right?
Jenna

Mammanenna

Post by Mammanenna » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:24 pm

my nephew is in foster care and the social service took him at birth from birth parents. They then asked all family members if they would be assessed for an sgo. My mum was assessed but hers was negative. I have been assessed and its positive. Her assessment started back in June! Mine started about 2 months ago.
The final hearing is at the end of January as they asked for an extension.
The whole way through they have said its a two track thing. So either adoption or sgo. He will not be returning to parents.
Now i have passed the initial assessment, they are saying that there are many different orders that may apply but "not to worry about that at the moment" as the court will decide at the final hearing.
It doesnt make any sense. How will i know what im being assessed for? How will i know what is going to be granted if its being decided at the final hearing? Will they give me several options and have to sign them all, for the judge to pick one that they feel suits best?
Are cao's granted in this sort of situation? And what exactly is the supervision order? Thanks

Mammanenna

Post by Mammanenna » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:07 am

Thats what im thinking. That im being fobbed off.
It was initially for an sgo which i was happy with.
I am meeting with a solicitor today after hearing my assessment was positive, so hopefully she can shed some light on it. Thanks x

Mammanenna

Post by Mammanenna » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:34 pm

Solicitor isnt happy with the proposed CAO and has advised we insist on an SGO.

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:36 pm

I suggest you solicitor is correct. Go for the stringer order.
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Mammanenna

Post by Mammanenna » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks for replying.
Im much happier going for the sgo. This was what i put myself forward for in the first instance. Why they are trying to change it now, i have no idea!?
Although money springs to mind!