Medical check for SGO's

CarCiKoTab

Medical check for SGO's

Post by CarCiKoTab » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:57 pm

What exactly is involved with this Medical examination you have to undergo when applying for a Special Guardianship Order?

I have tried endlessly searching on the internet but it seems they vary, depending on what it is for. I would like to know what to expect sorry if I have posted in the wrong area.

Thank you in advance

Skippy

Re: Medical check for SGO's

Post by Skippy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:13 pm

If it sets your mind at rest, we didn't have a medical check - we declared any ailments, and wrote to our GP to say that we were happy for them to confirm details of our health situation, but we did not have to have any kind of medical examination.

I guess if your declaration (or GP check) reveals anything that could affect your ability to parent the child, they might ask for more, but I wouldn't be too worried about this.

ozzy3396

Post by ozzy3396 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Same here. Letter from the GP listing any medical conditions and history. No examination.

CarCiKoTab

Post by CarCiKoTab » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:01 pm

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

After reading some of the exams explained over trusty old Google, I was under the impression I could end up having chest x-rays and the likes, I thought I may as well just sign up to be a live autopsy. I will find out more on Monday when I have the SW comes to assess us but it was playing on my mind.

David Roth

Post by David Roth » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:35 pm

The Special Guardianship regulations 2005 state that the SG report to court has to include: "a health history of the prospective special guardian including details of any serious physical or mental illness, any hereditary disease or disorder or disability".

The normal procedure for providing this is that the applicant's GP fills in a medical report form, which includes their medical history, and may include curent information such as weight and blood pressure. This would usually go to the local authority's medical adviser, who gives an opinion on whether the information in the medical report form contains anything which would make the applicant unsuitable to care for the child. There might be an issue if someone seemed to have a limited life expectancy, or might encourage the child in an unhealthy lifestyle, for example, but generally the courts are sensible enough to realise that not everyone who comes forward is going to be in perfect health or have a perfect health record. If someone does have a medical condition, then they may not be automatically ruled out, but questions could be asked about how they manage the condition, do they take their prescribed medication, what are the possible consequences of the condition, etc.
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser