New here,feeling a bit lost!

Help 1870

Re: New here,feeling a bit lost!

Post by Help 1870 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:55 am

You can alert SS in your area that your granddaughter is with you, but its unlikely they will do anything tbh. She's from a different LA and they dont like to take on children from other area's.

I dissagre with the comment your GD doesnt need to be on the register now shes with you. Nothing is certain, no one but the parents hold PR, there is nothing to stop mum turning up and demanding you hand her over. Staying on the register, for now at least, would be a good thing to protect her safety. Just because a child is on the register doesnt mean the child isnt safe, it just means there are still potential risks.

The LA where you live cant do anything to take her off the register anyway, shes not on their register.

rosielj

Post by rosielj » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks help, I have learned more on here than from anyone I have spoken to during all this.

rosie
rosie

Kate

Post by Kate » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:08 am

I dissagre with the comment your GD doesnt need to be on the register now shes with you. Nothing is certain, no one but the parents hold PR, there is nothing to stop mum turning up and demanding you hand her over. Staying on the register, for now at least, would be a good thing to protect her safety. Just because a child is on the register doesnt mean the child isnt safe, it just means there are still potential risks.

------

Hi rosielj

I agree with Help. Our granddaughter was put on the register AFTER she came to us - the initial CP conference had been scheduled then our daughter was evicted from her mother and baby home, and we took our g/d. I was glad it was still decided to put her on the register at the conference because it gave our daughter a clear message that she couldn't just come and get her (not that she was interested in doing it, as it happened, but we didn't know that for sure) SS de-registered our g/d once we had a residence order.

As regards not getting financial help because they say it's a private arrangement - makes me sick, but they did this with us too. G/d came to us for the weekend - she came every weekend - but didn't go back to her mum because there was nowhere to go back to due to the eviction, but I rang SS first thing Monday morning and when they ASKED if we would keep her until the conference I asked the worker to repeat it, and noted it down, so there was evidence that we had been asked by them to keep her, then at the conference they made it plain that they wanted her to stay with us. But when I tried to get her status clarified (was she looked after, accommodated, whatever?) the Chair said no, it was a private arrangement. I gave up when she said if we didn't want g/d at any point we should notify them and they would "secure" her - that felt too much like a veiled threat to me to keep quiet.
We never did succeed in getting financial support for her other than backdated nursery payments after going thro a Stage 2 complaint, but I do think it's worth fighting even so, if they asked you to keep your g/d. Even though you picked her up, that could just have been a temporary arrangement in your eyes. If they made it clear they wanted her to stay with you, in my book that is NOT a private arrangement, and nor was ours with our g/d. But they are so damn slippery. Good luck, you obviously do need financial support so that you can continue to provide for your teenagers, you should not be expected to put yourself and them on the breadline however much you want to have your g/d, and if you decide to take the other one, you must get funding signed and sealed first.