sgo

Kate

Re: sgo

Post by Kate » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Even with an SGO and naming a Guardian in the event of our deaths isn't as straight forward as it seems....this is a question that I have raised previously. When we die whatever order we have dies with us which means PR would fall back to birth parents and so any potential testementary guardian could welll find themselves having to go to Court to gain PR themselves....it could potentialy open a can of worms if the 'parents' wanted to rock the boat so to speak!

----------------

Thanks for this, Nana. It sounds as if there's no real security for the child/ren many of us are caring for, whether we have an RO or an SGO? Which is quite worrying. Can anyone else add any more information?

In our case our son won't even speak to our daughter (g/d's mother) due to the way she treated g/d and us, so in a scenario where we weren't fit or weren't here any more, if our daughter knew he would be bringing up g/d she might well want to fight it. It really makes one think twice about moving from an RO to an SGO when things are running smoothly with the RO.

kylawendy

Post by kylawendy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:06 pm

thank u al fpr ur replys its given me alot to think of maybe ill just hang fire an enrol her in nursery an fix the hurdles as an wen needed like i said ive had no hassle 4 nearly 2 yrs fingers crossed it stays that way thanks again 4 all ur replys an help very much apprecaited x

maricharle

Post by maricharle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:11 pm

ePosted - 07/02/2011 : 05:40:35
Even with an SGO and naming a Guardian in the event of our deaths isn't as straight forward as it seems....this is a question that I have raised previously. When we die whatever order we have dies with us which means PR would fall back to birth parents and so any potential testementary guardian could welll find themselves having to go to Court to gain PR themselves....it could potentialy open a can of worms if the 'parents' wanted to rock the boat so to speak!]

Nana, could you possibly give a little more information on what you have been told about the above as I'm sure like everyone else I was told the decision would be mine to make as per the SGO regulation.

mumof3now

Post by mumof3now » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi

We were told when had the SGO assessments that we could name someone to take over the care if something happened to us. If and when that happended SS have to approach that person in the first instance and then they then have to undergo all the same assessments as we did.

Thats what we were told by both the placing LA and our LA. Hope this helps.

Mumof3Now
Mumof3Now

Help 1870

Post by Help 1870 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:43 pm

quote:Originally posted by maricharle

Nana, could you possibly give a little more information on what you have been told about the above as I'm sure like everyone else I was told the decision would be mine to make as per the SGO regulation.

This is the original thread on the subject, as you can see, it became quite a discussion.

http://www.frg.org.uk/gpforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2416

Kate

Post by Kate » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Excellent thanks Help. I think we were away when that thread started and when we got back I was several weeks getting back to the board, so hadn't seen it - some good reading for later tonight [:)]

Nana

Post by Nana » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:00 am

thanks for adding that link Help....I wouldn't have had a clue how to do that [:)]

maricharle

Post by maricharle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:38 am

Thanks for adding the link Help and also Nana for bringing this to my attention. It certainly raises lots of questions as this was an area that neither the social worker or the guardian covered in depth with me or my family. Infact all I was asked was if someone would look after my grandson if anything happened to me. The question was also put to other family members who were present when SW and guardian visited. Nothing more was said on the subject and I certainly didn't think of raising any questions at the time.

Nana

Post by Nana » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:31 am

they haven't thought that far ahead re SGO's, it hasn't happened so there is no test case so to speak! It's a scary concept though that the parents could potentially cause even more trouble which whoever we name has already witnessed and dealt with.

As in our case my daughter is named testementary Guardian she was very much part of the process we went through to gain the SGO although is not privy to court papers etc (and because of Data Protection, never will be)Which in itself does seem a little futile because if (god forbid) anything where to happen to me she would be the one dealing with all the the stuff that would need to be dealt with during which time she will more than likely come across the file I have....which beggers the question should I.... destroy/dispose of it?

Why can't some part of this journey of being Kinship carers be easy???

maricharle

Post by maricharle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 pm

I wouldn't destroy the file. I remember a case which had nothing to do with SGO where a local authority had to compensate someone for loosing their file when they were in care.

Having had a psychologist report done which bore no resembelence to me as a person or what was actually said by me I let everyone in my family see it and spoke to them about everything else that I needed advice on evn if that meant them having to see things. It was no secret that I had as I told the SW, the guardian and even mentioned to the judge in court that my family didn't recognise who the so called psychologist had written about. I am not advocating everyone does as I did. I felt and still feel that these matters had and are today as much a part of my family as they are my grandson and I. Afterall social services and the guardian interviewed each of them and carried out police ckecks as well as asking if they would take over caring if anything happened to me. I also felt that as my grandson was with my brothers and nephews a lot at football matches they had to know what was going on to understand how to deal with the situation and anything arising from it.

I can understand the data protection act up to a point but the paternal grandmothers sister in my case had access to everything. She not only sat through every interview and discussion with her sister she was even allowed by the judge to sit in court although she had no part in the proceedings.

I know a lot of the information is sensitive but my grandson like all our children came to a family not me as an individual.