sgo

ied53

Re: sgo

Postby ied53 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:17 pm

No it does not mean anyone can come and get her. You are the carer Even though they have PR on the form where it says put down all who have PR just put parents are not allowed contact unless I am present due to child protection concerns. What will SGO give you thet the RO hasn't covered? It doesn't seem like you are having problems.

Irene
Grandparent carer in Lincolnshire
Irene
Tough times never last tough people do

Nana

Postby Nana » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:40 am

Even with an SGO and naming a Guardian in the event of our deaths isn't as straight forward as it seems....this is a question that I have raised previously. When we die whatever order we have dies with us which means PR would fall back to birth parents and so any potential testementary guardian could welll find themselves having to go to Court to gain PR themselves....it could potentialy open a can of worms if the 'parents' wanted to rock the boat so to speak!

Kate

Postby Kate » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Even with an SGO and naming a Guardian in the event of our deaths isn't as straight forward as it seems....this is a question that I have raised previously. When we die whatever order we have dies with us which means PR would fall back to birth parents and so any potential testementary guardian could welll find themselves having to go to Court to gain PR themselves....it could potentialy open a can of worms if the 'parents' wanted to rock the boat so to speak!

----------------

Thanks for this, Nana. It sounds as if there's no real security for the child/ren many of us are caring for, whether we have an RO or an SGO? Which is quite worrying. Can anyone else add any more information?

In our case our son won't even speak to our daughter (g/d's mother) due to the way she treated g/d and us, so in a scenario where we weren't fit or weren't here any more, if our daughter knew he would be bringing up g/d she might well want to fight it. It really makes one think twice about moving from an RO to an SGO when things are running smoothly with the RO.

kylawendy

Postby kylawendy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:06 pm

thank u al fpr ur replys its given me alot to think of maybe ill just hang fire an enrol her in nursery an fix the hurdles as an wen needed like i said ive had no hassle 4 nearly 2 yrs fingers crossed it stays that way thanks again 4 all ur replys an help very much apprecaited x

maricharle

Postby maricharle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:11 pm

ePosted - 07/02/2011 : 05:40:35
Even with an SGO and naming a Guardian in the event of our deaths isn't as straight forward as it seems....this is a question that I have raised previously. When we die whatever order we have dies with us which means PR would fall back to birth parents and so any potential testementary guardian could welll find themselves having to go to Court to gain PR themselves....it could potentialy open a can of worms if the 'parents' wanted to rock the boat so to speak!]

Nana, could you possibly give a little more information on what you have been told about the above as I'm sure like everyone else I was told the decision would be mine to make as per the SGO regulation.

mumof3now

Postby mumof3now » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi

We were told when had the SGO assessments that we could name someone to take over the care if something happened to us. If and when that happended SS have to approach that person in the first instance and then they then have to undergo all the same assessments as we did.

Thats what we were told by both the placing LA and our LA. Hope this helps.

Mumof3Now
Mumof3Now

ied53

Postby ied53 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:36 pm

We were advised that we could name a testamentary ( left in our will) guardian to take over if we were too ill or died . We named our Daughter in the final statement she also put a sheet in our final statement that she was willing. In fact she was part of our assessment and it was was commented on in our form F (family and friends assessment). We were advised that without this the children would return to the status they were before SGO made ( Looked after and in foster care under the LA). While the parents may undoubtedly try to regain their children by then they would have grown so far apart our wishes would be listened to and by then hopefully the children old enough to voice an opinion. The testamentary guardians do have to apply to the courts for PR.But the application would be favorably looked on as we had been for the children. Our girls 8 and 6 b oth already know that if something happens to us they are going to live with Auntie C . The time will come when even as aduluts they will be without the parent figure due to our ages even if ancient when we go on the girls will still be young women. With that in mind we have encouraged and has readily been accepted a closer relationship with Auntie C and future son in law . Hopefully long after girlks are 16 so PR won't be necessary as girls will be able to consent for them selves. Or I shall apply to the courts myself for them to have PR. No Guarantees but we felt the SGO offered more protection. We are able to make all day to day decisions without asking anyone else. The other children on our family situation are on an RO with their Dad. If he cuts the children's hair without asking he gets a solicitors letter.!!

Irene
Irene

Help 1870

Postby Help 1870 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:43 pm

quote:
Originally posted by maricharle

Nana, could you possibly give a little more information on what you have been told about the above as I'm sure like everyone else I was told the decision would be mine to make as per the SGO regulation.

This is the original thread on the subject, as you can see, it became quite a discussion.

http://www.frg.org.uk/gpforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2416

ied53

Postby ied53 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks Help it's good to go back and see. This I do believ was an eye opener for us all.

Irene
Irene

Kate

Postby Kate » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Excellent thanks Help. I think we were away when that thread started and when we got back I was several weeks getting back to the board, so hadn't seen it - some good reading for later tonight [:)]

Return to “Getting support”