Free school lunches

Skippy

Free school lunches

Post by Skippy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:18 pm

We were told recently that our nephew, for whom we hold an SGO, would be eligible for free school meals. Our income is too high for us to receive any financial support from the council, but apparently school lunches are calculated based on the income of birth parents. Is this correct? If so, it would also open up support for transportation to and from school.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Free school lunches

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:48 am

Hi Skippy,

Welcome back to the friends and family carers forum.

I know that certain educational support provided to children placed under a special guardianship orders, will be assessed on the “parents” income (unless a student is independent of the parents) rather than the income of a special guardian. “Parents”, in this context, means birth parents or adopted parents. For example, student grants and loans.

However, I do not know whether this would apply to school dinners and transport costs. The local authority do have discretion to provide school meals and transport costs to children who do not fit under the usual criteria.

You could check your local authority’s special guardianship order policy or speak to the education department about this.

I also suggest you speak to the education line at the Coram Children’s Legal Centre on 0300 330 5485.

If you need more advice about this, please post back and I could research this for you.

Best wishes,

Suzie