Which benefits can I claim

Worriednanna

Which benefits can I claim

Post by Worriednanna » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:34 pm

Both myself and my partner are currently not working. We have my grandsons currently on an Interim Care Order pending the court SGO on 26 June. We currently get an amount paid by the LA which will continue when the SGO is finalised. Could anyone please advise whether we are able to claim for either Child Tax Credit or as we receive money from the LA can we class this as a working wage for Working Tax Credit? I believe we are unable to claim CTC under an ICO as the LA has parental responsibility?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Which benefits can I claim

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:25 pm

Dear Worriednanna

Thank you for coming back to the Family and Friends Discussion Forum.

As you are to become Special Guardians following the final hearing on 26th June, you will be able to claim the benefits for the children including Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit and any other benefits to which the children may be entitled. You are not able to claim these for a looked after child.

you and your partner are not working you should be able to claim for benefits for yourself as a foster allowance is not normally treated as income. I have included our advice sheet and you can read about the benefits you may be able to claim from page 18 onwards.

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau will be able to provide you with more detailed information relating to benefits.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie