Money/Benifits Help!!!

Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:00 am

Money/Benifits Help!!!

Postby StepNannie » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:54 pm

We are 3 weeks in to a 16 week 'Private arrangement' for looking after my 3 year old grandson while we are assessed for Special Guardianship for him and his 1yo sister. To my knowledge their mum is still claiming benefits which we have not had from her. SW have said as its a 'Private Arrangement' we do not get help from them. I have also had to take leave from work, so our income has been reduced. Does anyone know what I can do? Shall I claim CB and tax credits for him?

User avatar
David Roth
Posts: 2022
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:14 am

Re: Money/Benifits Help!!!

Postby David Roth » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:18 am

Hi StepNannie, and welcome to the discussion forum.

I wonder if it might be worth calling our advice line, for a discussion about your circumstances? Your post has raised a few queries for me.

Firstly, you talk about being 3 weeks into a 16 week private arrrangement. However, if the local authority placed your grandson with you, then (unless you agreed otheerwise with them) they ought to have approved you as a temporary foster carer. They can give you temporary approval for up to 16 weeks (this can be extended once only for a further 8 weeks), and it was this figure which made me question exactly what your legal status is.

It does make a big difference whether this is a private arrangement or a temporary fostering approval. If you have temporary fostering approval, then the local authority ought to be paying you a full fostering allowance, and carrying out a full fostering assessment, unless the SGOs for your grandchildren will be granted within the 16 weeks (or 24 weeks, including the 8 week extension that is available). If it is a private arrangement, then the local authority has complete discretion over how much they pay you, and might well pay you nothing at all.

If you are fostering, then you would not be able to claim CTC or child benefit. However, you can claim both of these if it is a private arrangement.

It might be best to talk to one of our advisers about exactly how your grandson came to be with you, so we can assess whether you ought to be temporary foster carers getting a fostering allowance. We could then advise you how to take the matter up with the local authority, if they are not paying you the allowance that you ought to be receiving.

You can call our freephone advice line on 0800 801 0366 between 9.30am and 3pm Mon-Fri.
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

Return to “Finance and benefits”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest