Interim Foster Care

Sophia

Interim Foster Care

Post by Sophia » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi we like to clarify if we are on the right track and I am not sure if we are getting the right support from another LA. We did not agree to a private arrangement.
We are confused on certain grounds between foster carer and interim foster carer under connected person.
My niece was placed in London with us after an Interim care order was placed on the 5th June.
we have noticed that the financial aspects have never been raised not until we asked. She only mentioned, we do get financial support and the social worker did not know the rate at that time. Since the child has been placed in our care,I do not have anything in writing so far, and I have to ask for the care order plans and the minutes of the meetings.
I have also asked the foster manager the difference and she said interim is different and we only eligible for maintenance payment.
We strongly feel that we are not getting the support from the local authorities, they do not value relative or carer. we haven't received any payments since the child has been placed with us .
we would greatly appreciate help and support. Thank you
Last edited by Sophia on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robin D

Re: Interim Foster Care

Post by Robin D » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:45 am

Hi Sophia and welcome here.

Can I suggest you go back into your post and edit out the name of the local authority please? You need to try to keep things as anonymous as possible given that this is an open forum and many children's services departments visit.

I'm not sure what the social worker is trying to say. I would have thought you are either a foster parent or you are not. There may be question mark over your exact status while they are going through the approval process, but as far as I am aware, that should not affect the amount you are paid. I hope this isn't another wheeze by local authorities to reduce or avoid their responsibility to properly support children!

Given the time-scales, I suggest you call the free and totally confidential FRG advice line on 0808 801 0366 where you can be more open about your situation and they can advise on the way forward.

Best wishes ..... Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

David Roth

Post by David Roth » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:45 am

Hi Sophia, and welcome to the Family Rights Group discussion forum for family and friends carers.

There is no such thing as 'interim' approval as a foster carer. However, what they are probably referring to, and what the law does allow, it temporary approval as a foster carer. Temporary approval as a foster carer can be given to a relative or friend of the child, if the child needs to be placed urgently, but there is not enough time to carry out a full assessment. A shorter assessment is carried out at the start of the placement, and the social workers have then got 16 weeks in which to carry out the full fostering assessment (this can be extended once only for a further 8 weeks if they can't complete the assessment in that time). These temporary fostering approvals are sometimes referred to as Regulation 24 placements, as they are made under regulation 24 of the Child Care, Planning and Case Review Regulations 2010.

With regards to the level of allowance that you're being paid, you should not be receiving less than you would if you had full fostering approval, or if you were a 'regular' foster carer bringing up a child who was unrelated to you. The guidance to the regulations I mentioned state this in para 3.94: "A connected person approved under these regulations will be entitled to the same support and services, including any fees and allowances payable/available within the relevant fostering provider/local authority scheme to unrelated local authority foster carers."

It sounds as though the local authority may not be completely clear that this is not a private arrangement, and I would suggest that you make sure they recognise that you are fostering your niece. You can then point out to them what the guidance states about payments. This is also supported by the Family and Ftiends Care Statutory Guidance in para 3.94: "A judicial review of Manchester City Council’s policy on payments of allowances to family and friends foster carers in 2001 (the Manchester City Council judgment) came about because foster carers who were relatives of the children they were caring for were paid significantly less allowance than non-relative carers. The court held it was unlawful to discriminate against family and friends carers by paying them a lower allowance than non-relative foster carers. There is no requirement to pay a fee to reward a carer’s time, skills, commitment, etc in addition to the allowance. Where a fee is paid, it must be payable to those foster carers who meet the criteria set out for the scheme, including foster carers who are family or friends."

Robin is right to suggest that you remove the name of the local authority concerned.
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

Sophia

Post by Sophia » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:55 pm

Hi David,

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. sorry for the error. We are currently Temporary Approved as foster carers and we are in the 16 weeks process of the connected person assessment.

If you have any more useful information that will help us understand things clearly could you kindly forward it to us.

Thank you,

Sophia

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:09 am

Hi Sophia.

There is absolutely no need to apologise.

Have you read advice sheet No.12 at http://frg.org.uk/need-help-or-advice/advice-sheets as it gives a lot of factual and up-to-date information? There are other advice sheets there that may prove helpful as well, but please start with number 12.

best wishes ..... Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Sophia

Post by Sophia » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Hi Robin,

Thank you for your help. I have read Frg guidance but still have some ambiguities in regards to support from LA. Baby was removed from her mother for neglect under an interim care order and was placed into my care. Social worker never mentioned about baby's challenging behaviour for instance, biting, banging head, pulling hair and this behaviour goes on for 20-30 hour especially if baby doesn't get what he/she wants . Baby's mother knows about baby's behaviour and raised her concern and asked for help but social worker said baby have tantrums, baby has not had any behaviour medical assessment , or medical scan/ xray.

When baby was placed in my care I did not receive child protection doc where it says I have in the court order document. I have asked for a copy, social worker said it is not relevant anymore.
I have been asking for help and support , to go on training so as I can cope with baby challenging behaviour. Baby also have Sleeping disorder, she cries non stop when put baby to bed. Baby goes to bed by 10 pm regardless being put to bed by 8 pm. Tried all strategy putting baby back to bed over and over. I strongly feel baby and the mother did not get the right support at the right time and I believe this is the reason mother with learning disability couldn't cope or understand the child behaviour and needs and therefore lead to baby being taken away.
The fostering assessment manager said she is not aware of baby challenging behaviour. However, she saw it on couple of occasion during assessment. I have emailed my concerns and explain to fostering manager I need extra help but I have to complete the full assessment in order to access training and have to ask for her/his manager.

I haven't heard from social services team for more than a week as social worker moved to another team and is currently on leave. I emailed the fostering manager with my concern and I haven't received support in dealing with baby behaviour. I am exhausted and on the edge to end placement. I feel let down.

Will greatly appreciate advice and support. Thank you.

Regards,
Sophia