Leave rights when SGO granted

MumGrandmaAuntie

Leave rights when SGO granted

Post by MumGrandmaAuntie » Wed May 08, 2013 7:33 am

I am intrigued to learn yet another 'shafting' of FF carers in the difference between adoption rights and SGO rights. If I had agreed to adopt my nephew, as proposed by LA I would be entitled to paid leave like maternity leave from my employer to get things sorted out and settled (this last few months has been emotionally wearing rollercoaster). However we opposed the suggestion of adoption as don't think changing his uncle to his Dad and his Dad to be his uncle is appropriate for the child.

It turns out although SGO is like adoption in the sense of permanency for the child the guardian is expected to just get on with juggling all the different responsibilities when really I need a break from my very responsible job just to get back some equilibrium.

Any ideas on where I could look to find out if anyone has ever been able to access adoption type leave from their employer when an SGO is awarded? I never thought to ask solicitor about this when we had LA funded 1/2 hour session