Universal Credit and Child Tax Credit

LLB

Universal Credit and Child Tax Credit

Post by LLB » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:04 pm

I don't know whether I have missed something on this forum but has there been anything about this new Universal Credit and Child Tax Credit.

Since hearing about the new Universal Credit taking over most benefits for all working age people and that Child Tax Credit was being incorporated into this Universal Credit I have been making enquiries.

As yet I have received no answer from my MP and no satisfactory answer from any other organisation as to what happens to Child Tax Credit for those of us who claim it when we are over working age?

One answer that I got was that it was going to be added to Pension Credit but as I pointed out Pension Credit takes into account savings and Child Tax Credit only takes into account income from pension and the interest on savings which doesn't amount to much these days!

So in our very late sixties with a little money put by to supplement our pension and not qualifying for pension credit are we to lose the child tax credit for our remaining grandchild?

Another answer that I got was that we might get a transitional amount but that it would stay the same and be eroded by inflation and then we would end up worse off!!

We take on these children because we love them. Is the government going to take away the money we need in our old age to care for them?