Help with finance

Bonnie

Help with finance

Post by Bonnie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:45 pm

Happy New Year every one.....

We are no back living in a house after losing our home as the LA stopped our finance with out any warning! After three months I got it reinstated with back payments, but they took out money they said they over paid us, we still have no idea of there figures, but I got fed up of fighting, I had to concentrate on getting us a home, we lived in a caravan for 7 months.

Now back on track, I have been trying to get help for my grandson, I was sure he had ADHD possibly with Aspergers, social services knew the problems I had. I have tried to get help since he was placed with me at 12 weeks old, he is now 6 1/2 years old.
The head teacher at the new school approached me in October with her concerns, I was over the moon (not with him having problems, but some one had recognised his problems) She organised a meeting, he is now receiving one to one at school, he is also seeing a psychologist to be assessed.
He also continues to have pneumonia through out the year, he is still under the hospital. I have to do physiotherapy on him 4 times a day.

It is a very exhausting situation, especially as I have his sister with us too!

Can any one tell me if the LA should be paying more in RO payments for my grandson, also if 'yes' can I get them back dated? Are there any benefits I can claim for him?

Kind regards
Bonnie
(((H U G S )))

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Help with finance

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:58 pm

Dear Bonnie,

Happy New Year!

In answer to your question about residence order allowance payments I suggest you get a copy of your local authority policy on residence order allowances. This should tell you whether they can be backdated and whether the amount paid is reviewed regularly. However, I would also write or email children’s services requesting more assistance and asking whether there is an increase in residence order allowances. There may, for example, be assistance with travel or other possible support available from them. See our advice sheet on family support.
family support

Best wishes,

Suzie

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Thank you Suzie, I was hoping I didnt have to ask them any thing, I wanted the answer :( I know the CS pay foster carers for looking after disabled children at a higher rate, so I wanted to know if it was the same with RO.

I get no where with the LA im dealing with, so I have to go head on with knowledge, but thank you any way
(((H U G S )))

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:38 am

Dear Bonnie,

I am not sure whether your local authority would give more allowances if a child is disabled. I would still advise you to get a copy of the policy on residence order allowances anyway. Do it under the freedom of information act- by writing and asking for their policy.

You could also try the charity “Contact a family”. They have lots of useful advice about financial and other support available for disabled children. They also have an advice line. Here is a link to their website. contact a family

Best wishes,
Suzie

David

Post by David » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:51 am

Bonnie,
Are you receiving, or have you applied for, Disability Living Allowance for your grandchild? The form is quite long and complicated but it is worth persevering with to get the allowance. I think that the physio that you are having to do may help the child qualify for DLA. A useful web site to help you complete the form is http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/
David - former kinship carer for SEND grandaughter, now retired and still appointee for her Universal Credit & DWP benefits