3mth intention letter for s/g/o me or solicitor?

divadi2000

3mth intention letter for s/g/o me or solicitor?

Post by divadi2000 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:43 pm

I have asked a solicitor to ask the LA if they are prepared to pay legal bill for s/g/o she wrote to them 18th Jan and not heard anything as yet I asked the solicitor if I should submit the 3month letter of intention...or should I hang fire till LA respond to legal costs...she replied not giving me any indication if ive to give 3months notice..saying if you want to instruct me on a private basis with hourly fee costs as you are not entitled to legal aid but at present i am unable to help you unless i hear from LA in the meantime...she hasnt given me any info as to weather she does the 3month intention or if i do on my own...confused...x

Help 1870

Re: 3mth intention letter for s/g/o me or solicitor?

Post by Help 1870 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:53 pm

I think the solicitor is saying that if you want her to send give the 3 months notice you will have to pay her fees privately. Other than that she is unable to do anything until she hears from the LA.

You have 2 choices that I can see.

pay the solicitor to give the notice on your behalf and hope that the LA comes through with the funding in time to progress the case

Send the notice off yourself and hope the LA comes through with the funding in time to progress the case.

It seems the solicitor wont proceed without either a guarantee that either yourself or the LA will fund the legal costs.

Assuming your case is simple, and uncontested there is nothing to say you wouldnt be able to represent yourself. But I wouldnt suggest attempting to take this on if there are any obvious problems or the parents are likely to object.

divadi2000

Post by divadi2000 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks Help I have thought about doing it myself because of costs but I am worried I may miss something crucial out..and my social services..well more like secret service are rubbish to say the least on giving me any advice or guidance do you think i should write to social service who are dealing with me and ask them direct if they want me to go for s/g/o and are they willing to support this? and if they do send the 3mths intent? have you been through all of this? I know its going to be a long hard road ahead but i want to do it all correct for the 2kids and dont want the social to escape there duty to us as i have co-operated with them from day 1 x quote:Originally posted by Help 1870

I think the solicitor is saying that if you want her to send give the 3 months notice you will have to pay her fees privately. Other than that she is unable to do anything until she hears from the LA.

You have 2 choices that I can see.

pay the solicitor to give the notice on your behalf and hope that the LA comes through with the funding in time to progress the case

Send the notice off yourself and hope the LA comes through with the funding in time to progress the case.

It seems the solicitor wont proceed without either a guarantee that either yourself or the LA will fund the legal costs.

Assuming your case is simple, and uncontested there is nothing to say you wouldnt be able to represent yourself. But I wouldnt suggest attempting to take this on if there are any obvious problems or the parents are likely to object.

Muspark

Post by Muspark » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:10 pm

I will PM you Di. x

Piglets-House

Post by Piglets-House » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:25 am

It is really easy to do it yourself. You can send the letter straight away the LA will not act on it until after the first hearing. I am applying for an SGO for a couple at the moment LA were adivsed in September have not even seen the couple since before then and a directions hearing is coming up. The LA will be asked to attend and will then be directed to begin the assessment process. Send the letter asap the funding for the sgo can be sorted when the case gets into the court. Good luck

Auntie Lynsey

Post by Auntie Lynsey » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:42 pm

It is not a letter which you should pay someone to write. It requires no information, just something very straightforward.....Example. I am writing to give you my 3 months notice of intention to apply for an SGO for child x who lives with me at the above address.

That's all you require.