Advice about finances.

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Advice about finances.

Post by EmZ » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:15 am

Hi I'm new and looking for some advice. Myself and my partner have took on my 15 year old niece due to her wanting to live with us after she went through a rough patch at school a few months back, this included her been bullied and some other stuff and her not going to school for weeks, she even changed school but it carried on as pretty much everyone knows everyone. Police got involved but no social services or anyone else. My sister agreed for her to move with us ( we live in a different town 200 miles away)as she's in her last year at school and really needs to be going to get her results, she's a bright girl and is doing brilliant now. Only missed one day due to a sickness bug since she has lived with us. I'm just looking to see if anyone can advise on if we are entitled to claim any benefits? I work 46 hours per week minimum wage partner works self employed and earns roughly £800.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: Advice about finances.

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Dear Emz,

Welcome to the Friends and family carers forum. I am Suzie the online adviser.

I can see that you have taken on the care of your 15 year old niece after she suffered bullying at school which affected her attendance.
It is good to hear that she is now thriving with you and that her school attendance has massively improved.

Even though children services are not involved, you should certainly be able to claim state benefits and possibly other support. Has mum passed on the child benefit to you?

Have a look at our advice sheet about state benefits when children live with friends and family carers. it sets out what you might be able to get and where you can make a claim.

As she is not living with her parents, there may also be other support. For example, there is the discretionary bursary scheme for children in education from age 16 to 19.
Have a look at our advice sheet 21a Support from children services (and other sources) for relatives and friends looking after someone else’s child.

I hope you find these advice sheets helpful but if you have any questions please post again or you could call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,


Post Reply