Meeting with Social Worker

Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:56 pm

Meeting with Social Worker

Postby annette9999 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:18 pm

I help now?
We are in court regarding an ICO on the 15th & 16th December 10. the Social Worker has said Im not entitled to any renumeration Fee's apart from Child Benefit. Does anyone know any different and if you can you advise what is available IF ANYTHING at all how do the Social Services expect us to look after potentially 3 grand children if grated the care with us. I wondnt mind winning the lottory that would help!.

User avatar
Robin D
Posts: 1848
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Meeting with Social Worker

Postby Robin D » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:41 pm

If its an ICO, then I believe the the children will technically be fostered with you as with a full care order. In that case, they have to pay you the full fostering allowance.

Given the timescales, can I suggest you ring the [url=""]advice line[/url] on 0808 801 0366. They will be able to confirm or otherwise that an ICO is treated like a full care order and will be able to offer you loads of help on what to do next.

Good luck. Sounds like you might need it. Many years ago, as foster parents' we were told by the court on 12th December that the three little girls who had been with us on a temporary placement since the October were not being returned home and would be with us for Christmas - Cue panic on our parts to make it their best Christmas ever. It all had a happy ending as we eventually adopted the three girls. [8D]


Grandparent carer in Suffolk [:)]
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Meeting with Social Worker

Postby annette9999 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi thank you for your advice, I spoke to the Social worker who expressed we would only be allowed Family Allowance, if we get Care of the 3 children. Do you know who I should speak to regarding i have found the law which substanciates they the authorities should pay but do not know who to speak to. Apparently we should have been paid since our first granddaughter came to us, but do not know who to speak to. I understand you gave the telephone number of the care group which i called do you think I should wait for the hearing to find out wheather we get the care order.

Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:50 pm

Re: Meeting with Social Worker

Postby youngagain » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi,if the children come to you on an ICO then that I believe is the same as a care order.Importantly if the children are accommodated by the L.A. before they come to you then the legal definition is that they are "previously looked after" and entitled to an assessment of need for support services including financial. it sounds like the social worker is wrong. Easy way is to write to your L.A. now pointing this out or email the same to the manger of the family placement team at your L.A. requesting an assessment for support.
Also get your solicitor to do the same pointing out that this is regulation under the child ACT. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU AGREE TO as some l.a's have an illegal habit of finding fraudulent ways to limit financial; support. Before anyone blasts me for that comment,sorry but numerous rulings have established that L.A.'S operate illegal schemes.

Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: Meeting with Social Worker

Postby maricharle » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:06 am

Hi. My grandson has lived with me on a series of interim care orders since March 2010 and I receive the National Minimum Fostering Allowance which is

Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests