Parental Responsibilty

Sue74

Parental Responsibilty

Post by Sue74 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:52 pm

Things keep going from bad to worse but to much to explain, what i was hoping is if someone can help me with this question, my sister has decided that she wants to stay with the babies dad and give up her PR rights, she told me that she wants me to have PR for my nephew and his sibling that is due in Feb, she has mentioned it to her social worker but he said legally she cant do that, what i want to know is, is it possible ............ i dont trust sw anymore

grannyp

Re: Parental Responsibilty

Post by grannyp » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:46 pm

I dont know English law but in Scotland these rights go hand in hand.
My daughter keeps saying she has rights but she also has Responsibilties.
Ie keep in contact and do all she can to be responsabile for her child.

Aunty Lucy

Post by Aunty Lucy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:38 am

I think you may need to speak to a solicitor.
I was told that I could get PR for my nephew, but his dad would also retain PR. I think if a parent decides to give up PR it is possible but you need legal advice, maybe phone the FRG number.

Piglets-House

Post by Piglets-House » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:15 pm

Irene is right PR unfortunately does not come all wrapped in a little suitcase that the child carries around with it. A mother get automatic PR and the father does subject to some conditions. I am not sure if a mother can give up PR but it can be taken away from her as it is in adoption cases. An SGO would be your best option it gives you PR to the exclusion of all others. So whilst the mother retains it she does need to get the court's permission to take you to court rather than just bounce you in and out whenever she feels like it.

In my case the mother signed over her PR but even though this was done in court and signed in court it is not really worth the paper it is written on in terms of a legal document. I am lucky because mother is not interested in this child so she would not be taking me to court anytime soon.

Aunty Lucy

Post by Aunty Lucy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:11 pm

I'm sure I didn't imagine it! I was told that if my brother, as the only surviving parent chose to give up his PR it was possible.
I didn't follow this up so I don't know what hte actual outcome would have been, but he did write a letter relinquishing his PR, my solicitor told me if I'd followed up before he died it would have been valid.

winni

Post by winni » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:50 am

Just to throw more confusion into the mix ...When I got an R.O. for my g/d the S.W said that parents always retain P.R.so I am totally confused.It could be different in adoption cases I suppose.

win
win

Muspark

Post by Muspark » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:35 am

The only time that PR is truly "gone" from birth Mother and in conditions Birth Father is through adoption. Piglets House is right letters giving up PR really mean nothing if tested.

At least SGO give you the power to make almost all the most important decisions.