trustin social services

trapper

trustin social services

Post by trapper » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:42 pm

i hav requested birth certificates for my two grandsons so i can open a bank account for them i asked three weeks ago a week went by so i rang only to be told ss hav them for me will come round next week wi them so i wait another full week still no certificates i had promised the boys twice that i will get them now they questioning my honesty hav i tried to get them. it putting stress on me from boys,i am there foster carer approved and well assest by ss why they so unreliable is beyond me i hav totaly lost trust in them to do there bit i can understand news were people are frustrated any one hav same probs please comment

Help 1870

Re: trustin social services

Post by Help 1870 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:53 pm

I had to go the the LA offices to collect a birth certificate for the same reason. They arent the quickest off the mark with stuff like that, its not worth sweating over it.

Be honest with the kids, tell them there is an important piece of paper that you need and you are waiting for them to give you it but you do keep asking and will get it soon. If saving is something that means a lot to them get them both a special piggy bank to put their money in while you are waiting.

You could offer to match every penny they save between now and going to the bank but that might work out expensive.

Help 1870

Post by Help 1870 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:27 am

It was late last night when I replied and my brain wasnt in gear.

I had to open a bank account for one of mine who was LAC. Its not just the birth certificate you need, banks are clamping down on the opening of accounts because of identity theft. I suggest you also get a copy of the Care order, and a letter from SS stating the child is in their care. In that letter, which must be an original, no copies or fax, and on LA headed paper, you will need at least the basic following information.

Name of child
Date of birth
address where child is living
Name of SW
contact number of SW (direct line)
Name and number of SW manager
That they are in agreement to you opening an account.

Getting the birth certificate was the easy part, getting that letter was a nightmare. you could always raise it during a LAC review if you have one coming up.

David Roth

Post by David Roth » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:27 am

A lot of local authorities insist that foster carers should put aside part of their fostering allowance every week into a savings account for the foster children
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

LLB

Post by LLB » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:32 pm

As far as I am aware anyone can get a birth certificate for anyone. I got mine from the registration district of their births. It had nothing to do with the LA.

I also put our names on the children's accounts for us to operate until they reached maturity.

We opened them as normal grandparents would because we knew at the beginning that if the parents got hold of these accounts then all of the money would disappear!

The youngest one we opened after the care order and no questions were asked and we didn't mention the care order but then perhaps things may have changed now.

With the address bit I am sure that there were many documents sent to the children which were not confidential. Their medical cards also have the children's address on them but I have no idea whether banks will accept them.

With SGOs and applying for EMA for the older child to continue in education we just used the Child Tax Credit Form for that and as proof that he was living with us when he opened his current bank account.