Question re SGO and PR

pumpkinpatch

Question re SGO and PR

Post by pumpkinpatch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Sorry yet another question

how the child came to be in my care is here http://www.frg.org.uk/gpforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2366

In the beginning it was thought that since his mums death no one had PR for this child. Since applying for a copy of his birth certificate it has now come to light that the fathers name was added to the bc some years later giving him PR. I know that by getting the SGO will give me shared PR (technically more rights)and he is not objecting to my SGO, he wants nothing to do with the child. But all this has made me think is SGO the best way forward for me in this situation. im so confused and just want to make sure i do what is best for everyone. if im honest its the long term financial implication that scare me, as i was made bankrupt a few years ago, and never want to put my family or myself through that again.

thanks for listening and all the advise that has been previously given to me.

Help 1870

Re: Question re SGO and PR

Post by Help 1870 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:24 pm

I think you need to go back and look at SGO and what it gives you in terms of PR.

You do share PR with the parent/s. But the SGO gives you the power to exercise that PR to the EXCLUSION of all others. That means, as long as it isnt one of the restrictions (leaving the courtry, non necessary medical treatment, name change) then should the parent/s disagree you can basically tell them its tough. Outside of contact matters, the SGO prevents them from making applications to the court to vary or discharge the SGO without first obtaining leave of the court and showing a significant change in circumstances.

The only other option would be Residence Order, that would provide far less in the way of protection, with the parents truly sharing PR and being able, should they want to, to disagree with you over every decision and drag you in and out of court.

On the finances side, with SGO you have a much better chance of getting some financial help depending on a means test. Any financial support with RO is discretionary.