Let the world know.

youngagain

Let the world know.

Post by youngagain » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:12 pm

This is a question for all.
Would it not be good if the FRG exposed some of the issues that are prevailing on this forum to the national press?

Some of the stories are worth media exposure and as most of the issues are created by a system of secrecy,i think it would give carers a voice.
We can not name names for obvious reasons but bearing in mind the widespread misrepresentations and illegal practices of the various L.A'S
should more not be done?

mama t

Re: Let the world know.

Post by mama t » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:23 pm

while i agree that this does need to be exposed we can't do this as we would all be breaching confidentiality of our own famlies and friends and we are here to offer each other support in a pleace that is safe to offload on. although most of the stories on here are hair raising experiences we have keep them to ourselfs untill such a time that they will open the family courts system, and solictors stop advising these so called parents who have severly hurt there child/children that if they both say nothing niether of them can be prosceuted this has to change. i am however in the process of writing my story and i am going to will it to the press to with what it wants it will expose ss for what they are.

love n light mama t

mama t
www.whyitsallaboutthem.com

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:39 pm

While I have every sympathy with the thinking behind Youngagain's proposal, I'm afraid I can't agree.

I do however agree with points Mama T makes. In addition, those who have been here for several years will know that there have been lots of posts from Cathy and others at FRG, requesting interviews with the press and TV. Unfortunately, the vast majority want "photo's" as they want real life stories. Many here cannot take part because to do so would put them in contempt of court. Others feel that to do anything that makes the children we care for 'stand out' any more than they already do, is unfair and unkind. I don't know what the recent uptake rate is, but it used to be very low for those reasons.

Although FRG have campaigned for many years, its always been about trying to influence policy and law to get results rather than a Father4Justice type campaign where you get the publicity but generally not the changes people are asking for. FRG is highly respected where it matters, and I don't believe they should throw that away by alienating the very policy makers they seek to influence.

Just my tuppence worth. [;)]

best wishes ....... Robin

Grandparent carer in Suffolk [:)]
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Muspark

Post by Muspark » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:22 pm

I am afraid I have to agree. This should remain a safe place for everyone to off load their issues.

A few of us know of each other in a personal capacity now and I myself have been in the press and told parts of my story to raise awareness and to promote our support group but many of us are in a position where this is impossible.

We know how sad and frustrating some of our stories are but they need to be told in a safe environment and that is here.

Help 1870

Post by Help 1870 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:03 pm

I also have to agree with the comments posted so far.

The Fathers for justice campaign did little, IMO, to promote a positive view of many fathers and the issues they were trying to raise, I believe it actually damaged things for genuine fathers seeking fair contact with their children. I think similar kind of campaign could be just as devastating to Kinship carers.

I agree that the best way of changing our lot is by petitioning the policy makers, not alienating them.

Im not saying the media should not be used to highlight certain issues, and the Kent groups have had some positive media involvement which means the details of the support groups have been published, and that can only benefit Kinship carers.

One other concern I would have with involving the media would be that the Kinship cause and issues could get lost in the sensationalism of some stories, and there are some stories the press would have a field day if they learned of them, turning peoples difficult times into media gossip wont help anyone other than the media themselves.

I prefer the softly, softly, catchey monkey approach. It may take longer to get where we would like to go, but we will get there, and when we do, it will be because we have earned the respect of those who have helped us by arguing our case in a logical, persuasive manner.

David Roth

Post by David Roth » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:28 am

There are various ways that Family Rights Group tries to get out the message about the difficulties facing family and friends carers.

One of these can be by working with the media, and we regularly put requests in this forum when we become aware of an article or feature about family and friends care. A number of regular posters here have responded to these requests and featured in TV and radio features, or newspaper or magazine articles. We are also able sometimes to contribute an article of our own, and chief executive Cathy Ashley had two articles promoting family and friends care in the Guardian newspaper last year.

FRG also aims to get reliable information about the situation of family and friends carers into the public domain by the use of research. Some years ago, FRG undertook its own study of grandparents carers, which was published as Second Time Around. FRG was on the steering groups for the recently published major studies by Joan Hunt and Professor Elaine Farmer. We are about to embark on another study, with Joan Hunt, to look at the support provided to family and friends carers, and I am undertaking two other pieces of research, into sibling carers and contact issues in family and friends placements.

Our aim is always to be able to support our campaigns through the use of reliable data, which can demonstrate that the problems facing carers are not just based on the bad experiences of a few, but are in fact quite widespread. We have sometimes used some illustrative quotes to support the case we are making, but we are not looking to sensationalise people's experiences.

Reading the comments preceding this post, I feel this is the approach that most people using the discussion forum are most comfortable with.

David R
FRG Policy Adviser
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

youngagain

Post by youngagain » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:27 pm

Yes I agree with all,personally our story is quite harrowing although I have not shared it on this forum i would not know where to start,I would not want to promote anything that could undermine the credibility of this site or the people who use it, we are all victims after all.
David I am interested in what the FRG has done to change policy and any results.

David Roth

Post by David Roth » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:19 pm

FRG published a draft Good Practice Guide for local authorities last year (the final version was published in March here: http://frg.org.uk/pdfs/Good%20practice% ... h%2010.pdf . This has been quite influential in the government's draft statutory guidelines for local authorities, which was recently out for consultation: you can read the document here: http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/consultations/// ... =no&menu=3 ; FRG prepared a response for the Kinship Care Alliance, which you can read here: http://frg.org.uk/pdfs/FRG%20response_7%20June.pdf

Just within the last year, there have been changes in legislation as a result of lobbying by FRG and the Kinship Care Alliance which, while they may seem small in themselves, have made a difference particular groups of kinship carers. These include:
- SGO and RO allowances no longer to be treated as income in calculation of housing benefit and council tax benefit
- Reduction of the period that a relative must have cared for a child before being able to apply for SGO or RO from 3 years to 1 year
- The removal of the phrase 'exceptional circumstances' from section 17 of the 1989 Children Act, so that local authorities will be able to pay a regular allowance to carers raising a child who is not looked after, and not just one-off payments 'in exceptional circumstances'.

You can read a lot of the papers FRG has prepared to support family and friends carers on this page of the website: http://frg.org.uk/policy_papers.html . FRG has also tried to include carers in this campaigning by our e-lobby campaign, which has produced a response in favour of the Kinship Care Manifesto from MPs who are now ministers, such as Chris Huhne and Lynne Featherstone, as well as Labour leadership candidate Diane Abbott.

David R
FRG Policy Adviser
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

aimilgray

Post by aimilgray » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:50 am

i actually went to a magazine a good one one who has done similar stories before and 18 months later ive still not heard anything they dont want to know.

David Roth

Post by David Roth » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:18 am

We usually get involved if we are approached by the media, or if we become aware they are planning a story around family and friends care. Then if they are looking for someone to be interviewed we will place the request on this forum.

David R
FRG Policy Adviser
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser