Who can attend Core Meetings?

In_My_Heart

Who can attend Core Meetings?

Post by In_My_Heart » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:32 am

Deleted by poster due to privacy
Last edited by In_My_Heart on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robin D

Re: Who can attend Core Meetings?

Post by Robin D » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:13 am

Many local authorities publish their policies on line for example http://info.westberks.gov.uk/CHttpHandl ... =36994&p=0. (Picked at random, not my local authority).
Look for "core group" on the web and you will get loads of returns. It might be useful to add in your local authority name to the search so you get their own document.

Of course its not clear who should attend but if you are party to the court proceedings, I should think it would be difficult to argue that you are not an "other relevant family member" in the example above.

Not specific to core group meetings, but this code of practice for social workers found at http://www.scie.org.uk/workforce/files/ ... f?res=true
may also be useful.
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Who can attend Core Meetings?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:56 pm

Dear In_My_Heart

Welcome to the Family Rights Group Family and Friends Carers’ Discussion Forum.

My name is Suzie and I am one of the Advisers at Family Rights Group.

I note that you have concerns about whether you are able to attend a core group meeting regarding your grandchild. I am sorry that you are feeling so worried about this situation.

In your post you say you have a court order for contact and leave from the court to be party to a family court case. Since, there has been an initial child protection conference and there is to a core group meeting, I assume that the court proceedings you are referring to relate to a private law case and not a case where the local authority Children Services have applied to the court.

Regarding attendance at core group, this will depend on how you think your attendance will help your grandchild. It is arguable that someone who is connected with the child and have regular contact that your input might be helpful but if this is not the case Children Services may say best for you not to attend. If you were to attend in a capacity as a support for a parent that might be a way as a parent is entitled to have support at the meeting if he or she so wishes. Perhaps you can attend to support your own child at the meeting, if possible.

You have already received a helpful post from Robin D to your query, so it might be helpful for you to find out your own or the local authority concerned with your grandchild’s policy in respect of core group meetings.

As you may be aware, the core group has the responsibility for overseeing the Child Protection Plan and ensuring that it is being followed and action taken as stated in the plan. The professional in the core group and the parents should decide and agree the final Child Protection Plan.

I hope you will find this helpful, I have included a copy of our advice sheet relating to child protection procedures for your information.

Should you wish to speak to an Adviser, please do telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open Monday to Friday from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.

Best wishes

Suzie